four

( season four, episode eleven & original episode )

there's nothing left dumbass

layna's parents split when she was young. it was a long, hard process that she could barely remember, but their arguments prior had always sat in the back of her mind, stubbornly refusing to fade away. she didn't mind the divorce though, quite the opposite. in fact, the only thing that angered her was the shared custody. the hate lingering in the young girl's eyes every time she looked at her father frightened her parents, no child should hold these harsh emotions. but nothing her father did made it better.

over the years, the hatred she felt for her father never really went away, she just learned how to hold it in. after all, fights never went well for her. the hours she spent afterward in her bedroom were proof. part of the reason her anger towards her father settled was because of her stepmother. an absolute angel who unfortunately fell into the same trap as her mother. though the two's marriage was never as bad as her parents, they seemed to actually like each other. of course, that didn't last for long.

when layna got the call telling her her stepmother had gotten ill, she felt like someone had torn her heart out and brutally smashed it with a baseball bat. yes, it was quite brutal, but she could never explain her pain in a sane way. it just didn't feel right. she'd only been able to visit the women she had grown to love a few times before the world fell apart, and layna had felt a large ball of guilt sit in the bottom of her stomach since.

she didn't know if her father was able to give her the proper treatments to hopefully cure her, she didn't know if they had even worked in the first place. she didn't even know if she was alive.

layna tried not to think of the negatives all the time. there were plenty of positive moments that made her smile every time she thought of them. like when she gave birth to her daughter, and she refused to let her father in the room, but let her stepmother come in and hold her. the smile on her face made her tear up every time she thought of it. she always believed she had the most beautiful smile.

or when layna and her first boyfriend broke up and all she wanted was her mother, her stepmother comforted her throughout the weekend, until it was her mom's turn to have her. her words of consolation somehow always made her feel better.

sitting in the grass consoling her daughter, she couldn't help her thoughts from drifting to her stepmother. the way she held kaia's smaller form against her, stroking her head comfortingly, her mind flashed to when she once got the same reassurance.

"shhh, my love, it's okay. the monsters are gone." she whispered into the small girl's ear, "they can't hurt you now, i promise."

"mommy?" kaia spoke shakingly, looking up at her mother, "will the monsters ever get me? like they did grandma?"