Dead Even

When your body finally unfroze, Klaus came careening around the corner.

"The meeting's about to start, slowpoke! C'mon!"

"No-" you tried to say desperately, but it was too late. He had dragged you down the stairs and into the main lobby, where everyone was congregated by a short set of stairs.

Not much of a chance of killing yourself now. What an odd thing to think.

"You're late," Five said tensely, not looking at you as you went to stand by his side.

All you wanted to do was rant to him about what Allison had just done - Allison, your sister. You still couldn't believe it. But when you opened your mouth, nothing came out. 

Obviously.

Still, it shocked you, and you sucked in a sharp, surprised breath. Allison's voice, however, covered it up. "I think you can all guess which way I'll be voting."

"Can we?" you asked coldly, your tone dripping with ice. Her eyes met yours, and she tilted her head slightly, forcing a smile. 

"Anything you'd like to share, (Y/N)?" The sound of her using your voice made you want to shrivel up. And you knew that she was provoking you, that she was well aware you couldn't put words to what she had done.

"Go on," you said, crossing your arms. Five glanced over at you, his brow furrowing.

"We've all been through a lot," she said, putting on her concerned face and walking into the midst of everyone, clasping her hands together. "We've all lost people."

Colleen. Mark. Elliott. Ben. Grace. 

Allison.

"Mannequins..." she muttered, gesturing to Five slightly.

Your teeth clenched as Five shifted awkwardly beside you. 

It was a jab. At you and Five, even though he might not see it. You knew now. How she truly was.

"But their deaths have to mean something," she said, her voice rising in passion. "Which is why I'll be voting to go with Dad." She gestured to Reginald.

Dad. She still called him Dad.

Lila strode down the stairs, getting in Diego's face. "What she said." Then she walked next to Allison, grinning. "Let's go save the bloody universe!" Her eyes met yours as she walked, and she gave the slightest shake of her head at you.

Shit, that was sad. She thought there was a chance to save you, and she was taking it. Even if it meant risking her own life.

"All right, well, since she said yes, I vote stay." Diego's voice was gruff and petty. You would've scoffed if you disagreed with him - but you did. You did disagree. What was going on with your head? "How's that for nice?" he countered.

"You're not being serious," Lila said, her mouth open in a wide, disbelieving grin.

"It's his vote, Lila," Allison said darkly, and you could practically see into her mind. She wished she had rumored him too. "Klaus?"

"I am with Father," he said in a serene tone, gesturing to Reginald. 

Reginald, in return, smiled at him and let out an approving "hm" while exchanging a look with Ben.

"Okay, that's four to one." Allison said, sticking her hands in her pockets. "Viktor?"

Viktor, who was sitting on the stairs, sighed and sat up. "Look, I wanna believe, okay? I really do. I just can't shake the feeling that we don't know what we're getting ourselves into."

"No," Allison admitted, crossing her arms as her gaze darted around the room. "But we know what we've got if we don't. We have to go into this together!" She looked around at everyone, her gaze skipping over you and landing back on Viktor. "Viktor. A family."

"You can't just keep throwing the word 'family' around," Viktor groaned, leaning his head back.

"Amen," you added, and Five looked over at you curiously, his brows furrowed.

"It isn't enough. I vote stay," Viktor finished, his tone truly regretful. 

Allison's nostrils flared slightly as she turned to the side to face Number One. "Luther?"

"Um..." he said slowly, glancing down to where Sloane sat on the steps beneath him, his hands resting on her shoulders comfortingly. "Sloane and I... talked. And, well, we're out. Look, we wanna spend whatever time we have left together and not... fighting some guy with a sword, and ringing bells and stuff. So..."

Together. They just wanted to be together. God, you were so selfish. How could you vote yes to Reginald's plan? 

Allison. Allison is why, you reminded yourself harshly. It's not me.

"I'm out, too," Oliver said, glancing at Sloane, who smiled at him. "This world was shit, anyway." You smiled slightly - he reminded you of Ben. A mix of the new and old one, sort of.

"Eight?" Lila asked, raising her eyebrows at you. You knew what you should have said. What would have made you the hero instead of the villain. But... you couldn't. You felt the words - not yours, Allison's - slip off your tongue.

"I'm in."

Everyone watched you, seemingly waiting for an explanation, but you just swallowed hard and looked at the ground.

"Well, dead even," Viktor said quietly. "Five in, five out."

"That leaves you, Number Five," Reginald said expectantly, looking over at him. You peeked at him, too, heart pounding.

Please vote no. Please vote no. Please vote no.

Five glanced over at you for half a second, his eyes trailing across your face before he sighed and straightened up. "I saw the future, and it told me to sit this one out." A muscle in his jaw ticked as he smirked slightly. "I vote stay. It's time we accept our fate."

Yes.

Thunder from the Kugelblitz rumbled in the background as Allison looked around at everyone in shock. "You're all pathetic." And she stormed off.

"Why can't we just go in there, just the five of us?" Ben spat, turning to Reginald.

"That would mean certain failure. There must be seven. Children," he began, striding forward and causing you to look up from the floor. "I can't say I'm happy with this. But I see now the blame falls on me. I failed you when you were young, and I have failed you now. And in doing so, I have doomed the entire universe. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the courtyard..." He trailed off dramatically, striding toward the exit. "awaiting the end." And he was gone.

"Idiots," Ben muttered before stalking off.

"Was that a real apology?" Viktor asked, glancing over at you.

"Yeah, right," you said, and Luther shook his head.

"The man's never apologized for anything in his life."

"I actually feel bad for him," Diego said quietly, staring at the floor.

"Don't worry. It'll pass," Five said matter-of-factly, and you actually found it in you to laugh. A short, dry one, but a laugh nonetheless.

"So now what?" Sloane asked.

"We wait for the end," Five answered, reaching out to take your hand. "See you around. It's been interesting." He walked off, pulling you behind him.

You had to separate yourself from him. You had to end it, NOW. It was the future Five had wanted. You understood now - it was why he had told Five not to save the world. It wasn't Five's job - it was yours. 

"There is something after this," he told you, walking swiftly up the stairs after pouring himself a large metal bowl of corn flakes. "I promise. You just have to trust me."

"No, Five," you said desperately, trying to tug your hand out of his grip. "I can't... I have to do something."