A Glimmer of Hope

Seiya took a deep breath and ran his fingers through his hair. Kakyuu was sitting on the bed, having listened to her husband's explanation. She immediately recognized the issue they were facing, as well as understood what was going on in Seiya's mind. His face showed his helplessness, and his eyes were filled with desperation.

"I think I'll return to Kinmoku," she began.

Seiya's eyes widened in horror. "Kakyuu, she's our friend. We can't just leave her in..."

"Stop, I said I will return. We can't leave Kinmoku and Kazuki alone forever. You will stay," she interrupted him. Slowly, she approached him and took his hand. "But Seiya, please don't do anything rash. Remember, when you make your decisions, that Serenity is a queen. A married queen."

"What does that mean? I know that," he replied.

"I believe you do. I sense that you are drawn to her. But both of you have obligations," Kakyuu said. "I don't mind who you spend time with occasionally. We've talked about this countless times. But please promise me you won't get involved with Serenity. She already has more than enough problems with the Silver Crystal and Endymion. She can't handle more conflicts."

He knew his wife was right. Serenity had more than enough problems at the moment. He would stay as a sign that Kinmoku would stand by the Moon's side should this situation escalate. But not only for that reason. He would also stay as a friend.

"Come on, it's late, I'll tell her tomorrow that I'm returning," Kakyuu said, and Seiya nodded in agreement.

It was still very early in the morning, and the first rays of sunlight painted the sky a beautiful shade of orange. Kakyuu was still asleep, but Seiya had spent half the night pondering the issues. It just wouldn't leave him alone. He hated not having a solution to problems. There was no point in continuing to dwell on this here. So, he got out of bed.

Serenity was also awake in her bed. Her thoughts were still revolving around her argument with Endymion. How much she had wished that he would deny the affair and provide a plausible explanation about who this woman was. But he hadn't even attempted to apologize. Instead, he had accused her of infidelity. She glanced out the window; the sun was still low. Early enough to sneak into the kitchen and grab something sweet without having to justify herself. Serenity threw on her morning robe and tiptoed to the door.

Carefully, she opened it and tiptoed into the hallway. She urgently needed something sweet to calm her nerves, and maybe then a solution would finally come to her on how to deal with Endymion.

"Where are we going so early, Your Highness?" a voice suddenly sounded behind her, causing Serenity to startle. She slowly turned around, and Seiya was grinning mischievously at her.

"Oh, it's just you," Serenity sighed in relief.

"Who else were you expecting? Have you checked the time? Everyone is still asleep in the palace... But why are you awake already?"

Serenity looked embarrassed, unable to admit that she was out and about at this hour just for some sweets. Or could she? Seiya's cheeky grin sparked an idea in her. She would simply take him along; he seemed like a good listener, and that's what she needed right now—an open ear and something sweet for the soul.

Serenity allowed this tiny spark of rebellion to guide her. She took his wrist and pulled him along. "Come with me, but be quiet."

In that moment, she felt like she was back in her youth, sneaking into forbidden places, always filled with the thrill of it. Of course, she was now a queen, and there were no forbidden places in the palace for her. Still, Mars kept teasing her, saying that with her constant indulgence in sweets, she'd soon outgrow her clothes. So, she avoided sinning in front of her friends as much as possible.