CHAPTER 55: REST OF MY LIFE

Start from the beginning

They finally get to me.

I step forward. I smile at her. I said, "hi"  She says shyly in a quiet voice, "hi"

I said, "God baby you look so beautiful. I knew you would look beautiful, but I really wasn't prepared for what it would do to me to see you walking to me. You brought tears to my eyes and almost stopped my heart. Before we go any further, I just want to stare at you for a few minutes, memorize you in this gorgeous dress. Baby you are stunning.."

She smiled at me, making me feel weak. She said, "Thank you. So are you"

The preacher said, "we are all here today to celebrate in joining these two into holy matrimony. Who is presenting Tom to Sydney for marriage.  My mom who is by my side, says my late husband and I.  She cries, and so does Sydney. My mom gives me a hug, and a kiss on my cheek, then hugs Sydney, and steps aside.

 "Who is presenting Sydney to Tom for marriage."  Sydney still has a hold of her dad's arm.  Her dad said, "my late wife and I."  He kisses her cheek. This is hard on him. I can see. To let go of her and step away from her and move back. It's an easy action, but what the meaning behind the actions very hard. He's giving her to me

The man who has always been the most important man in her life is giving up that title, and he's giving it to me, I'm becoming the most important man in her life. He's losing her. That loss is on his face, in his eyes, as he cries.

She said, "oh daddy."  She burst into tears.   Seeing him and Jay cry I know hurts her.

He said, "Don't cry for me princess. When you were born, I knew this day would come. You are so beautiful. I love you so much. And I am so happy for you. I will always be here for you. Anytime you need me."  He gave her a hug and then he stepped back and stood by my mom.  He put his arm around my mom, and my mom cried.

I think my mom sees this all different, but maybe not. I mean I'm her only child, her son. But I really don't think my mom is looking at it like she's losing me. She knows I"m always here for her whatever she needs. I think she looks at it, like she is gaining a daughter. Something I know she has always wanted. I know my mom wished that she and my dad would have had another baby, a girl. So she could do girl things with her. Shopping, hair salons, fashion. And now she has that in Sydney. Plus I know my mom wants a grand baby and we need Sydney for that. I silently laugh to myself in my head at that.

Her dad I think sees me as a son, he's told me that, and I'm grateful for that. I have come to love him, like a father figure. He won't ever replace my dad, but I love him a lot. I think he sees this as he is gaining a son, but the significance of me replacing him as her hero, her most important man.   I don't think Rob ever was that. I don't think she loved Rob enough to have Rob be more important than her dad. Rob was never her hero.

Jay stepped forward.  He said, " sorry, I just need a moment."  The preacher nodded.

Jay said, "Sydney I love you so much. You are so beautiful. Just like the princess you are. You will always be my baby sister, and I will always want to protect you. I know I failed in that.  You have a good man in Hanson, and I'm excited that I'm getting a real brother in this,"  He then turned to face me. He said, "Tom take care of her. Be good to her. Don't hurt her. Welcome to the family."  He shook my hand, and hugged Sydney. Then stepped back to my side.  

I took Sydney's hand and helped her stand facing me. Her dress is so long.

I said, "I agree you look just like a princess. Baby you are so beautiful, gorgeous, you take my breath away."  I kissed her forehead.  I'm not even sure if that is appropriate whether you can kiss before you are pronounced husband and wife, but I don't care.  I'm doing it. It takes all my will power not to kiss her on the lips. The way she looks in that dress. I just want to kiss her.