CHAPTER 36: FACING THE DAMAGE DONE

My dad is furious. He is glaring at Tom. He orders one of the workers to go get the first aid kit, and Rob is helped by his dad to one of the tables.  Allison is fuming. Kris, Rob's mom, and my aunt are crying. My dad said, 'Rob are you ok, do you need to go to the hospital."  Rob glares at Tom. He said, "no I'm fine, and I will finish this fight whenever Hanson."

We go inside.  Judy stays outside with Tom's mom.  She is all upset. Judy gives her a hug.

Tom said, "Sir I'm" My dad said, "I don't want to hear a word out of your mouth. You are going to listen to me."

My dad said, "Sydney please go on outside."  I said, 'Daddy no. I need to stay with Tommy" My dad said, "Sydney sweetheart now. Go outside."  Jay said, "Syd you better go."  

Tom said, "I'm fine."  I said, "Dad no. Tom's hurt. He needs me here."  Tom said, "I'm not hurt."  I said, "you have a bruise on your face, and oh my God your hands are all bloody."

Tom said, "Sydney that's not my blood. I'm fine. You go on ok."  I said, "No" My dad said, "Sydney Marie Mitchell. I'm not going to tell you again. You need to leave."

Tom said, "Baby I'm fine. Please go on and check on my mom ok. Tell her I'm so sorry."  I kissed him.

I said, "Daddy please. Don't yell at Tom" I left.  I went out to Judy and Tom's mom.  Rob was at a table with his wife and parents.  Judy and Tom's mom hugged me.

My aunt said. 'Sydney honey. I'm so sorry to say this. You know how much I love you."  I said, 'I love you too."  She said, "but I can no longer support your marriage to that monster."  I look at her.

I said, "What, no Tommy is not a monster."  She said, "He's worse than a rabid animal. He's violent. He's a danger to you" I said, "no he's not."  Judy said, "Tom would never hurt Sydney. He's not dangerous."  Margaret said, "my son would never hurt her. He adores her."

Tom's view:

Sydney's dad screaming at me. He said, "I get you hate Rob. The feeling is mutual. But not only can you not just attack and beat someone like that, this was the wrong place to do that. You have upset my sister-in-law. You have hurt her. That is her son in law. She loves him. That is my niece's husband. You nearly killed him. His poor innocent friend, all he was doing was try and help Rob. This was a surprise party to celebrate my wife's sister. Allison worked hard on this party, and because of you it's been ruined. The food table destroyed; the movie gift destroyed. Not to mention what about your badge. You just risked your career for what a cheap shot at Rob."  

I look him in the eye. I know he's right. I messed up big. I let my temper control me, and now I've hurt Sydney's aunt and embarrassed her and her dad. Ruined this party. Rob's mom is right, my dad would be ashamed. My poor mom has to sit out there after what I did. She probably wishes she wouldn't have come. Well Sydney's dad probably hates me now, won't support our marriage, not that we are having a marriage.

Her dad said, "Now I'm going to ask you to explain your actions. Jackie actually wants me to kick you out of here. She's scared now. for Sydney. Your temper."

I said, "Sir, first let me say that your daughter is safe with me. yes, I lost my temper, lost control, but I would never lay a hand on your daughter. No matter what. She's safe. I'm not a danger to her."

I said, "I'm sorry. I know I ruined your party. Jay I am sorry. I know Allison worked hard, and I ruined it, destroyed it. I know I embarrassed you both in front of your friends, and family."

Her dad said, "I want to know why you did it."

I said, "Um sir. I can't tell you that."

He said, "You will tell me son, right this instant.  Do you realize the kind of trouble you are in. Rob's parents are rich and powerful. They are going to press charges, have your badge. Have you arrested. Now this happened at my house, with my party, you ruined my sister in law's night, and I want answers. You will tell me is that clear."