Chapter Sixty-Six

Well. Here I am. Back home. Not on Earth.

Rather, home is Dark Ninth, in the Kor Hold. In the sweet, sweet darkness of this hidden planet, watched by the three moons.

I have asked Alpha Centauri to call a meeting for me, with Star Squad and Ninth Squad. I didn't tell him why, just that I needed everyone here with me.

I had two options.

Betrayal of all my lovers.

Or... a concept I had been playing around with, knowing I was flirting with the darkest energies of this universe, in the form of these handsome Kor Elions... I could... hmm... I could 'join' them?

The best way to do that, was to do this. What I'm planning.

I need all their attention first.

I need them to trust me – not fear the power I had as a chosen Empress. Even if I was a prisoner at the same time. The irony of that...

I'm thinking it's the Estori's venom that flooded my brain, suddenly boosting me with enormous confidence, as I pace up and down the spacious, empty corridor, between their Midnight Chamber and Ninth Squad's Hold.

Alpha Centauri was relaxed and more than happy to gather the Kors after we fucked hard on Regalis' secret planet. So at least I knew I had the Estori sweet.

I am relieved to see Mars walking out, leading Ninth Squad, after he disappeared at that dinner in Light Metro with the appearance of the Universal Board's Enforcers.

I walk toward Mars. I am now dressed in a spider's silk Krown and Plume. A translucent colour. The chain in place between the collar and the belt at my waist. I'm really into the full uniform of an Empress these days.

Mars places a hand to my belly and my cheek, smoothly intercepting me.

"Are you okay?" Mars asks quietly, knowing everything is fine.

"Yes. So is Danger," I smile, "Why did you run away from the Enforcers?"

"We didn't know what they wanted," Mars lies, I feel it, but I don't press, "Just to be safe, we had to Stealth and disappear."

"You are respected members of the Board," I add, "I do wonder sometimes... about my choices. You and I could have been living on Earth, if I had accepted your hand... I wonder, if you'd have kept me there. In the Light."

Mars tilts his head, "I would have kept you there, that's true. But I can't say I don't regret making you an Empress. What's the meeting for, Diana? Did something happen with you and the Estori?"

"We just fucked," I answer honestly, smiling, "Shock horror."

Mars' mouth just tugs up in the corner, "You do love our cruellest?"

Alpha Centauri was far from the cruellest.

"I don't think he's cruel," I answer truthfully again, "I saw Orlai, Mars."

Mars tenses, "You what?"

I watch as the rest of the squad linger close, gathering around but keeping just enough distance to hover. I know they can hear every word, their ears pricked.

"Yeah, I think I almost died," I admit, "But I'm fine. He just chewed a little too close to the bone..." I was trying to make a joke, but being extremely serious with my tone, aiming to be sarcastic? Has seriously worked against me with this Elion.

I wanted to unite them, but already, Mars is slipping past me, as Alpha Centauri approaches with his squad – and he can see Mars' temper.

"Don't attack him, Mars," I snarl out.