Part 1 ~ Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

'I hope this is all part of your plan Hiccup.'

Stoick then lifted the entrance gate when he got down there and motioned for Hiccup to run over to them. "This way!"

Hiccup went to 'run' out of the arena, but the Nightmare sent a stream of fire to block the path then pinned Hiccup to the arena floor with his talons. Hiccup yelped in surprise and scales formed around his eyes as his fighting instincts took over.

Astrid noticed this and grabbed Stoick's arm as he was about to run into the arena to help his son. "Stoick there's something you need to know about Hiccup! He's turning into a Night Fury!"

Stoick looked at her shocked, then looked back at his son and took notice of the black spots that began rapidly appearing on the boy's face. "Oh, Odin help us.."

Not even a minute later there was a high pitched whistle and a blast was heard. Smoke then began to fill the arena and sounds of dragons fighting could be heard.

When the smoke cleared, three dragons could be seen, two of which were fighting. The two that were fighting were a white dragon that looked very similar to a Night Fury and the other was the Monstrous Nightmare. The third dragon was a Night Fury that was cowering away in a corner, not wanting to have any part in the fighting.

"Night Furies!" Gobber exclaimed, not realizing that the cowering dragon was his apprentice.

As Vikings began to hop down into the arena to fight the dragons, Astrid rushed into the arena with her axe in hand and got in front of the Night Fury.

"You're not going to lay a hand on him!" She yelled furiously.

Hiccup whined and shrank down even further as Vikings began to fight his friend. Stoick noticed how scared his son was and he took a deep breath and stormed his way into the arena.

"ENOUGH!" He bellowed, which got all the fighting to come to a pause, the white dragon and Nightmare included. "Lock up the white dragon and Monstrous Nightmare, but leave the Night Fury be!"

"But Stoick!" A Viking tried.

"Leave the Night Fury out!!" Stoick ordered with a glare.

The tribe then did as told, not wanting to get on their chief's bad side. Stoick then looked at his son and left the arena.

Hiccup crooned softly and got up, following his father out of the arena warily. Astrid followed right behind the two Haddocks, glaring at anyone who even looked at the young Night Fury as they passed.

~~~HTRYNF~~~

Stoick paced back and forth in front of his son and Astrid in the Great Hall.

"I should have known. I should have seen the signs." He said as his hands balled up into fists.

Hiccup crooned at him, but then cowered away as his father glared at him.

"We had a deal!"

Hiccup shrank away from the man whimpering and Stoick sighed and ran a hand down his face.

"How is this possible son? Is this some kind of punishment from the gods for your actions? And all those things in the ring...a trick? A lie?" Stoick asked, upset but also very worried for his son.

Hiccup looked at Astrid for help and she nodded at him in understanding and looked at Stoick.

"It's complicated chief. No, this transformation isn't a punishment from the gods for his actions. It's just a failsafe that Night Furies have to keep their species from dying out. That baby Night Fury Hiccup saved made a bond between her and Hiccup. That bond is what made him transform into a dragon. Not the gods. As for the ring..he was trying to learn how to protect that baby dragon. Not harm any of her kind. He knows that he screwed up, but he didn't know what else to do. He didn't want to disappoint you." Astrid explained as calmly as she could.

"And what of that white dragon? What do you expect me to take from that, hm?" Stoick asked with crossed arms.

"She was just trying to protect your son! She's not dangerous." Astrid said, trying her best to not get upset.

"Oh, not dangerous? They've killed HUNDREDS OF US!" Stoick yelled.

"AND WE'VE KILLED THOUSANDS OF THEM!" Astrid shot back.

Hiccup backed away a bit, not wanting to get dragged into the argument even if he couldn't respond properly at the moment.

"They defend themselves, that's all! They raid us because they have to! If they don't bring enough food back, they'll be eaten themselves. There's something else on their island, chief...it's a dragon like–" Astrid began to explain, but Stoick cut her off as he grabbed her shoulders.

"–Their island? So you've been to the nest."

Hiccup whined and covered his face with a paw. 'Damn it Astrid..'

"Did I say nest?" Astrid asked as the realization of her slip up sunk in.

"How did you find it?!" Stoick asked.

"No...w-we didn't. Luna did. Only a dragon can find the island." Astrid said, but immediately regretted it as Stoick turned to leave the hall.

Hiccup noticed too and screeched out of fear and ran to block his dad. Stoick glared at his son.

"Move aside son. I don't want to harm you."

Hiccup huffed and stood his ground, determined to keep his father from leaving. Stoick sighed and pushed his son out of the way, but not harsh enough to hurt the young dragon. He then opened the hall door and exited.

"READY THE SHIPS!" He ordered as the door closed behind him.

~~~HTRYNF~~~