Welcome to San Francisco

Start from the beginning

"Are you okay?" Cari's soft voice broke the silence. She brushed my hair away from my face with tender care. "You've been staring out of the window for quite a while."

"I'm okay," I assured her, leaning in to rest my forehead against hers, inhaling the comforting scent that was uniquely Cari. She smelled like home. I would choose her over San Francisco on any days. "San Francisco just brings a lot on my mind," I confessed, sharing only part of my tumultuous thoughts.

"I understand," Cari replied, gently pulling me closer to nuzzle against her neck while her hand soothingly stroked my back.  "I am here when you are ready to share those thoughts with someone."

In her presence, I felt at peace; Cari Fletcher was truly my home.

***

"Wow, this is fancy," Cari exclaimed, her eyes sparkling as she surveyed the luxurious Presidential Suite at the Four Seasons San Francisco.

"I usually opt for the Executive Suites, but they were all booked. I guess Potluck can treat us this time," I shrugged nonchalantly. I could have chosen one of the company's investment apartments nearby, but I liked Four Seasons more.

"So you didn't request this specifically?" Cari teased, wrapping her arm around me with a knowing smirk.

Caught, I could only bite my lip in response as she laughed, pulling me into a tender, casual kiss. It was the kind of kiss that spoke volumes without words, a simple expression of affection.

"Thank you, but please, don't go overboard for me. I don't need all this. I'm here to spend time with you, not for your money," Cari said earnestly, halting herself mid-sentence as if stopping herself from revealing something more. I could see the unspoken words in her eyes. "Where's our room?" she asked, redirecting the conversation as she picked up her bag.

The evening passed in a comfortable blur. We were both exhausted from work and the flight, so we opted to relax in our suite, ordering room service. While I reviewed some documents, Cari settled beside me on the couch, her feet warmly tucked under my thighs, engrossed in a book about self-discovery. She was the picture of comfort, dressed in one of my shirts, her hair in a messy bun, glasses in place of contacts, and makeup-free.

Putting aside my MacBook, I lifted her feet onto my lap, beginning to massage them gently. Cari looked up with a smile, her book set aside as she sat up, our faces close while her feet remained in my lap.

"Done with work?" she asked softly.

"For now," I replied, settling back comfortably. "You're beautiful, you know."

Cari rolled her eyes, though I could see the blush on her cheeks. She leaned in for a quick kiss, then climbed into my lap, facing me, her fingers playfully tousling my hair.

"Cheeseball," she teased, her eyes dancing with affection.

"You love it," I whispered back, drawing her closer. And as our lips met again, the world around us, including the last few pages of that document, faded away. Tomorrow could wait.

***

In the early hours of the morning, I carefully unattached myself from Cari's embrace and slipped out of the bed. As I did, she murmured something in her half-asleep state, then cozily drew my pillow closer and sighed contentedly. Resisting the urge to lean down for a kiss, not wanting to disturb her slumber, I quietly gathered my things and headed for the bathroom.