Do we need to?

Saturday, November 13, 2021

I was up early the morning after the party and had already finished my training and breakfast by the time I got a message from Cari. I was pleasantly surprised to see a selfie of her from her bed. She was laying on her stomach, half of her sleepy face was pressed into her pillow while her hair was up in a messy bun. Additionally, I could see that she was totally naked under the covers. Fuck, Cari Fletcher, you are such a tease.

I also received the following message from her with the photo:

10.45 a.m.

Good morning,
I am alive and somewhat awake. Give me an hour, and I can be ready. Where should we meet?

I shouldn't even be surprised that she slept in today. Out of the two of us, it was always me who was an early riser. Cari used to measure the success of our nights based on how long I stayed in bed after them. Now I would do anything to be able to stay in bed with her as long as she wants me to.

10.48 a.m.

Good morning, sunshine,

What do you think about getting some food and coming back to my place? We could just chill and watch a movie.

I was in the middle of a conversation about a dinner with Nora when Fletch got back to me again.

11.03 a.m.

Sounds like a plan. I could also bring my guitar over and we could play some music maybe. What do you think of that?

Fuck. She wants to do it today. I guess today started way too well. Am I ready for this conversation? I have to be if she wants to do it today.

11.05 a.m.

Okay, we can do that if you are up for it.
I will never say no to a private Cari Fletcher concert. :)

11.06 a.m.

Great. I can take an Uber and be there around 12. How does that sound?

11.07 a.m.

Horrible. Why would you want to take a Uber
when you can have your own personal chauffeur with an Aston Martin?!

11.07 a.m.

You don't need to come and get me just to go back home again. An Uber is fine.

11.08 a.m.

Just get ready and I will be there in half an hour.
Don't make me open a Uber account just for you. ;)

11.10 a.m.

Thanks, Avery. I will be ready in 30 min. :)

After Cari's last message, I finished the dinner arrangements with Nora and got up to leave. Unfortunately, this time I did not get as lucky with the traffic as the last few times, and it actually took a bit longer than expected. By the time I got there, Cari was already standing outside with her guitar on her back. This look gave me flashbacks to our university years once again when she went out to sing on the streets or in small pubs. I still can't believe how far she has come. She deserves the world.

"Hey-hey." I smiled at her while jumping out of the car and stepping in front of her.

"Hey there." Cari smiled at me and gave me a tight hug. She was wearing a black shirt with one of her favorite jackets and jeans. "Are you sure my guitar will fit into the car? I can always go back and leave it here."

"My baby has a bigger butt than it seems." I grinned at her and she rolled her eyes, but let out a cute little giggle. She always found my car obsession ridiculous but always let me geek out about it. "Give it to me and jump in."

I quickly opened the truck, and as expected, I had no issues fitting it in. After gently closing it, I jumped back in as well.

"So, what is the plan?" Cari asked while putting on her seatbelt. I did not have to remind her anymore; she did it automatically. Such a good girl.

"Well, we need to choose a restaurant, pick up food and go home. The weather is pretty nice, so I want to show you a special spot at my place. You will love it." I promised while starting my car. "What do you feel like eating?"

"Can we do sushi?" She suggested after a few seconds, and her tone made me look at her immediately. I guess some things never change. Cari seemed really anxious and kept playing with the sleeve of her jacket. So we both knew what would happen today.

"Car. Hey. Take a big breath, okay?" I had to turn back toward the road, but I reached over with my right hand and squeezed her arm. "Everything is going to be okay. We both have the same goal; we want to build up this... friendship." I tried to find the right words to calm her down as much as possible. "We both knew that we would have to have these hard conversations sometimes. We will be okay."

"I know, I just..." Cari started with a shaky voice. "I like what we built up, I like our dynamics, and I don't want this to change." She finished her thoughts, but she did sound a bit more relieved.

"It will not change anything. Not in a negative way, at least." I smiled at her after I stopped at a red light. "So, how are you feeling after the party?" I tried to change the topic. No need to get more anxious before it is time to talk.

"Better than expected, actually," Cari said. "I think it helped that I only drank your gin. I guess premium quality alcohol does not cause hangovers. Who would have thought." She said jokingly. I appreciated that she tried, at least.

"Well, I am glad that you liked the Bruni." I grinned back. "When did the others leave?"

"Not long after you left, only Alex stayed. She decided that she missed me and wanted to sleep with me." I didn't even have to look at Cari to know that she was rolling her eyes. "She mentioned that you talked."

"Yes, we agreed to get a coffee together next week." I glanced over. I really hoped that Alex did not mention anything about my tattoo. "I missed her. While I tried to keep in touch with a few people, I just knew that she wasn't an option. She is your bestie."

"She missed you too. She couldn't obsess over sports with anyone." Cari nodded. "I hope you will have a great time on Wednesday." Of course, she knew the exact time I am meeting Alex.

"I think I need to prove to her that I don't have any bad intentions," I added while stopping close to my favorite sushi place.

"Alex knows it; she just..." Cari seemed to consider her words. I waited patiently for her to finish that sentence. "She is my Kristen. She wants the best for me."

There was no need for more explanation; I totally understood what she meant. Instead of discussing this further, we got out and went in to order our food. Cari has been to this place as well, so we could quickly give our order. It didn't even take 15 minutes till we received it and another 20 before we parked at my designated spot in the garage of my apartment complex.

I guess it is time to talk about her songs...

________________________________

Hey guys, 

I know this is a fairly short chapter, but I didn't want to get into the juicy details and cut it in the middle. I promise to make it up to you with the next one. ;)

I am also glad to see that more and more of you are following the story. Please keep commenting and liking the chapters; it helps me stay motivated and write more. I am really looking forward to your feedback along the way.
xx, R.