Hangover Burgers and NYU hoodie

Sunday, October 31, 2021

11.32 a.m.

I am dying. Please only say nice things about me at my funeral. 

I was still in bed, scrolling through social media when I received the message from Fletcher close to lunchtime the day after the party. I started laughing but the pain hit me immediately at the side of my head. I drank less than her and still felt shitty, can't even imagine what she is feeling right now. Okay, to be fair, I really wasn't used to drinking this much anymore. Those days were over.

I took a big breath and slowly got out of bed. When I wasn't as dizzy as I have expected, I walked to the bathroom and washed my face with cold water before finally writing back.

11.40 a.m.

Get ready. I will pick you up in an hour and we will go eat somewhere.

I quickly took a shower which made me actually look like a human before putting on a random hoodie and sweatpants from my closet. I really didn't feel like dressing up as I usually do when I meet Fletcher. I wrote her a message when I got into the car to let her know that I'll be there in 20 minutes. She was standing outside in a similar outfit as me by the time I parked.

"Okay, I am done. I live two streets down north, pick me up there from now on." Cari said after getting into the car slowly. I didn't understand what she meant. "I didn't want you to know my exact address when we met. Now I almost puked 3 times on my way to this address. I think it is karma for saying the wrong address the first time..." she finished.

I looked at her for a second and Fletcher looked back at me before I laughed out loud. I immediately had to lift my hand to my head due to the pain which caused her to laugh as well. In the end, we were both holding our heads trying to get over the pain. What a team we are.

"You promised me food. Come on." Cari slapped my arms slightly to hurry me up.

"Okay okay. I know the perfect place." I nodded with a small smile.

***

"I can't believe I am eating a Monster Truck burger in an Aston Martin." Cari shook her head before taking another big bite from her burger.

"Tell me that you don't love it." I looked at her with expectant eyes.

Eating out together was one of our favorite things to do. We were both foodies and enjoyed eating fancy or junk food just the same. We were fine with eating a steak in one of the most popular restaurants but also didn't mind sitting on the plastic chairs at the old pizzeria a block away from our old apartment. This burger place was actually our favorite hangover destination back in 2015 but I haven't been here since then.

"Oh, believe me, I am enjoying every single bite of it but I am not going to clean your car if your sauce gets somewhere." Fletcher looked at me with daring eyes while eating another handful of fries. I knew why she said that. I used to be clumsy with food and I hated when my car was messy even when I wasn't driving an Aston Martin Vantage 2018.

"After I bought this baby, I took such good care of her for the first year at least but then... "I shivered just thinking of the horrible event that went down in this beauty. "Kyra visited me with her daughter and things landed on the dashboard... Things that I never ever want to see again. Not on a dashboard, not on anything." I was shaking my head and tried really hard to get the vomited dashboard image out of my head. " Since then I am a little bit more chill. I learned that you can take anything out if you pay enough... A burger is nothing compared to those things.