We started out as strangers, now we're strangers again

Hey all,

Welcome to my story, which I wrote a few months ago when I had time to write for fun. Those were the good old days. I hope you like it, and please leave some feedback. I'm hoping to update once a week.

***

Thursday, September 9th, 2021

"Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. You knew she would be here today. It has never taken long for life to bring you closer when you were in the same city. You just need to stay calm and confident. You can do it, Avery."

I want to say that this small pep talk was working for me, but I would be lying. Does not matter that I had weeks to prepare for this day, I still had no idea what to expect from her after all this time.

Once again, I stopped in front of the mirror and looked at myself. I was wearing my favorite navy blue suit that I got years ago before one of the most important business meetings of my life. Since then, it has been my lucky charm for every important event up to this day. Getting the first big investor for Potluck in 2016? Navy suit. Being chosen for Time 100 for the first time in 2019? Navy suit. Meeting my ex-girlfriend after breaking her heart 6 years ago? Navy suit.

"15 minutes and it is finally your turn, Avery" I heard Nora's voice over the door. "Are you okay?"

"Just come in..." I said without raising my voice but she most likely heard me as she entered the room a second later.

"Hey, are you ready for the interview?" She asked while looking at me with a worried expression on her face.

We are here in West Harlem, NYC, recording an online event for a new Trevor Project initiative in connection with homeless LGBTQ+ youth in the city. This will be my first official appearance since I have announced of stepping down from my CEO position of Potluck, giving the seat to Kristen, my co-founder. This will be the first time I can truly say what I believe for a cause that is close to my heart.

Of course, life would have been way too smooth this way, which never happens to me. A week after signing the contract that I participate in today's session, I received the news that she is also invited to play some of her songs as part of the live stream. It has been almost 5 years since the last time I have seen her and over 6 years ago that we badly ended things. You would think that this much time is enough for someone to move on, especially as we have only dated half of that time... Well, I was never able to move on fully. Maybe it is because of the way we separated, maybe the fact that she was my first love, maybe because she has written a whole EP about me. A whole EP about our relationship and break up. A whole EP about how big of an asshole I am.

I guess that EP was one of the reasons I was truly scared of today. Knowing how she remembers our relationship hurt more than almost anything I have experienced so far...

"Hey, are you okay? You seem pretty zoned out." I recovered after hearing Nora's voice again. I shook my head and cracked my fingers, trying to relax once again.

"Yes, yes, of course. I am just a bit... overwhelmed" I tried to find the right word to describe my feelings.

"I haven't seen her... maybe she couldn't make it." She suggested quietly. Of course, she was aware of the reason for my current state. She was there when I learned the news that she is going to be here today and Nora offered to come with me immediately. She was one of the few who has been by my side since the very beginning and who knew me with her. Nora knows how much she still means to me.

"She will be here. Life likes to play games with us this way." I smiled at her sadly. "That is one of the reasons I stayed away for so long."

***