The ring

It is 1.49 a.m. here and I need to be up in 5 hours, but I couldn't let such a day go by without a new chapter. We needed one on the release day of "FYFRNYCFM",  am I right?! 

 I looooooved seeing how many of you liked and commented on the last chapter. I hope we can keep up the same enthusiasm for this one as well because 
I am soooo curious of what you think of this chapter. Buckle up for an emotional rollercoaster ride!

Looking forward to all the likes and comments along the chapter.
xx, R. 

___________________________________

The end of the last chapter: 

"Take this off, now." She grabbed the bottom of my shirt and began to pull it off of me as I raised my arms in an effort to assist her in her endeavor. In the midst of leaning back to give her another kiss, I felt her stiffen in my arms. I glanced up at her in a confused manner, but Cari did not look back at me; instead, she continued to stare at something a little lower down my body. She was fixated on the diamond ring that was dangling directly over my heart. Fuck.

Everything seemed to slow down for a moment. I was observing Cari, while Cari was still staring at the ring. My heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest, and I had a startling sensation of nausea. Disappointment and hurt were written all over her face, and I recognized it all too well from the past. 

A split second later, our consciousnesses caught up, and I felt Cari struggling to back away from me. Even though all I wanted to do was hold her in my arms till she calmed down, I let go of her thighs the second she flinched. After she finally managed to get out of bed, Cari looked around desperately for her sweater. She slipped it on, ran her fingers through her hair a few times, then crossed her arms over her chest. She hadn't glanced at me since she got off me; instead, she was looking out the window, her jaw tightening as she grinded her teeth and shook her head slightly. I knew her behavior way too well. She was putting up her barriers all over again on the inside. I closed my eyes and sighed heavily, leaning back on the bed and covering my face with my hands. You fucked up again, Avery.

"Car..." After minutes of uncomfortable, tense silence, I couldn't stand it any longer and began to speak. On the other hand, I was completely at a loss for what next steps to take. I tried to picture this discussion a million different ways, but none of the outcomes that played out in my brain felt appropriate to the circumstance that was really taking place. For the last six years, I have slept, eaten, and showered while wearing the engagement ring that was meant to be hers as a token of my love for her. How am I expected to explain this?

"Why?" Cari posed the obvious question, and despite the fact that we had been silent for several minutes before, I did not have an acceptable answer ready. I was paralyzed by the fear that if I spoke the wrong words, I would end up losing her once again. I was about to start describing it to the best of my abilities when the words began to rush out of her lips. "Is this a game for you? Revenge for saying no and writing songs about you?" She began to pace up and down the room as I sat there motionless watching her. All the thoughts I collected in the past few minutes had vanished from my head. The only thing that kept running through my head was what she had said. How could you think that of me, Cari?

"How could you possibly say that?" I stumbled out the words while simultaneously reaching for my shirt to put it back on. I all of a sudden felt like I couldn't sit there without it anymore, it felt too vulnerable. "Did the last two and a half months mean nothing to you?"

"Of course it fucking did." She raised her voice and finally looked at me. Her normally golden brown eyes had an almost black tinge to them now. Any indication of desire had vanished, and it was obvious in her eyes that she was super angry and upset. "I was ready to let go of the past, but that's impossible if you're running around with my engagement ring around your neck." I felt like I'd been stabbed in the chest by her tone and language. My defense mechanism started to kick in as much as I tried to keep calm before.