Welcome to San Francisco

Merry Christmas guys!

xx, R.

_____________________________________________________________

Lost in thought, I reclined in my comfortable leather chair, observing the vibrant pulse of New York beneath the office. My attention was partly on the cityscape, partly on Melissa's detailed account of the meeting she attended in my place. Melissa, my assistant of nearly a year, was a beacon of ambition and dedication. As I entrusted her with increasingly significant tasks, she had risen admirably to each challenge. It was becoming clear that soon I might need to seek another assistant, as Melissa was close to being ready for a more substantial role in my new company.

"Thank you, Melissa. Please forward your notes to me; I'll review them later," I said, acknowledging the end of her briefing.

"I've already sent them before our meeting," she replied with a bright smile, prompting a warm, amused shake of my head. "Is there anything else I can assist you with, Avery?"

"How are the arrangements for my San Francisco trip?" I asked, contemplating the schedule. Cari and I are set to depart this afternoon and arrive the during the evening. My board meeting is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

"Your private jet is currently being prepared, all set for the three o'clock departure," she confirmed. "Cari will be picked up en route before the driver comes for you. Your requested suite at the Four Seasons is reserved for the entire weekend." Her concise rundown reassured me that all was proceeding as planned. However, one aspect lingered in my mind...

"Melissa, can you check if my apartment is free this weekend?" I asked quietly. Since I moved here, I haven't stayed in my apartment much, instead renting it out sometimes.

"I'll check..." she said, sounding a bit curious but not asking more. We're close, but we keep things professional. "It looks booked until Sunday, and the next guest is coming on Tuesday."

"Understood," I murmured, lightly tapping my lower lip in thought. A strategy began to take shape. "Propose to the current occupants that I'll compensate them for a night at the Four Seasons if they vacate by 10 a.m. on Saturday. The apartment must be pristine by 4 p.m." I detailed the plan, and Melissa diligently noted my instructions.

"I don't think anyone would say no to that," she remarked with a knowing smile, then stood to set my request in motion.

With a thoughtful sigh, I returned my focus to my laptop. The decision to use my apartment was not final, but if the moment felt right to introduce Cari to this slice of my life in San Francisco, I preferred being thoroughly prepared, avoiding any last-minute scramble.

***

I was looking out of the plane's window watching over San Francisco under us with an anxious heart. I wanted this weekend to go well. I wanted Cari to have a good time in the city of my biggest achievements and to like it the way I do.

I was looking out of the window watching over San Francisco under us with an anxious heart. I wanted this weekend to go well. I wanted Cari to have a good time in the city of my biggest achievements and to like it the way I do. To this day I have doubts that I did the right thing by moving back to NYC but I also know that if I stayed I would have never been able to let go Potluck, I needed the change.

Cari's gentle squeeze on my hand pulled me back from my thoughts. Turning to her, I found her curious gaze fixed on me. Her grip had drawn my arm into her lap, a comforting gesture I hadn't even noticed.