Christmas memories

December 13th, Monday

The cozy glow of the fireplace filled the room, casting a warm and inviting light as Cari and I sat on the couch watching a Christmas movie. Outside, snowflakes gently danced in the NYC winter night, creating a serene backdrop for our evening together.

Cari, her eyes sparkling with mischief, leaned in closer and grinned.  "You know, Avery, I was just thinking about that time we used to decorate your apartment for Christmas."

I couldn't help but smile at the memory. "Ah, yes, those were some epic holiday decorating battles we used to have. You were always convinced that tinsel belonged on absolutely everything."

Cari laughed, her voice laced with nostalgia. As she spoke, her fingers found mine, and we intertwined them, our hands snug and comforting within each other's grasp.  "Well, it does add that extra touch of holiday magic. Besides, you are the one with a fascination for those vintage ornaments."

I chuckled, recalling my penchant for antique Christmas ornaments. Our legs brushed against each other as we shifted on the couch, our closeness only adding to the cozy atmosphere. "Guilty as charged. I can't resist those classic, elegant pieces. They add a touch of nostalgia to the holiday traditions."

Cari's eyes sparkled as she continued, "And let's not forget our legendary gingerbread house competitions. You were always convinced that your design would win, but I'm pretty sure I had the upper hand in that department."

I raised an eyebrow, playfully challenging her. "Oh, really? I recall my gingerbread mansion being quite the architectural masterpiece."

She leaned in, her voice conspiratorially low, and her breath brushed gently against my cheek as she spoke. "Avery, you can't deny that my gingerbread decorating skills are unparalleled. Even your gingerbread Santa looked like he was waving the white flag in surrender."

I laughed, picturing our gingerbread creations. "Alright, you won the gingerbread competition that year, but only because you had a secret stash of candy decorations hidden in your bag."

Cari grinned, a hint of triumph in her eyes, and her free hand reached out to brush a lock of hair away from my face. "Hey, whatever works, right? And speaking of treats, remember our tradition of making hot cocoa from scratch?"

My eyes twinkled as I recollected our cozy nights in the kitchen. My fingers found their way to her cheek, tracing a gentle path there as I spoke. "Of course, how could I forget? We'd spend hours perfecting the hot cocoa recipe, experimenting with different types of chocolate and just the right amount of marshmallows."

Cari nodded, her gaze softening, and she leaned into my touch. "Those were some of the best nights. Our laughter echoing through the apartment as we sipped our homemade cocoa by the fire. It felt like we had our little winter wonderland."

I reached over and took her hand again, my tone playful yet sincere. "You know, Cari, as much as you teased me about my ornament obsession and gingerbread skills, those are some of my fondest memories of us. Our holiday traditions made those moments special."

She squeezed my hand, and her thumb traced soothing circles on my palm, sending shivers of warmth through me. "I feel the same way, Avery. Christmas with you was always filled with laughter, love, and a little friendly competition. And I have to admit, I've missed it a lot."

I grinned, a mischievous twinkle in my eye. "Well, you know, we could always recreate some of those traditions right now. I still have some vintage ornaments, and I'm pretty sure I can whip up a batch of gingerbread dough."

Cari raised an eyebrow, her lips curling into a playful smile, and her gaze locked with mine. "Are you challenging me to a gingerbread throwdown, Avery?"