Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"C'mon Wes, Johnny is a piece of shit, and he doesn't love you. So you should probably never love him!" You scoff, and walk out of his view.

It hurt you to even say those things about him. Not even twenty four hours ago he was the man you loved. The man who said he loved you, and now... that bitch Nancy! Redirecting your anger from Johnny to her. This was all her fault!

JOHNNYS POV

Still leaned against the fence looking where RN and Wes were once stood you wanted to go be with them. You did, deep down inside that's what you wanted to do, but you knew you couldn't. That's not what your ma wanted. She wanted you to accept it's always gonna be just her and yourself. Nobody will ever love you like she does. Not even your own father loved you like her. The bastard was never around. As you were fixing to walk away RN appears back in front of you. This time rapidly approaching you. Standing to walk away from her...

"JOHNNY DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE WALK AWAY FROM ME!" her tone was hateful.

You just stand there crossing your arms over your chest instead.

"I don't want you to say a goddamned word. I want you to fucking listen to me!" she hissed, adjusting her hold on Wes.

You slowly nod.

"Have I ever fucking left you hanging? Have I hurt you since that one night? When I've told you I loved you did you ever doubt me? Every time we've made love did it ever cross your mind that I'd rather you be someone else?... If the answer to all of those things are no which they very much should be what the hell are you doing? Your mother has left you. Like a dog on someone else's porch. She has hurt you..."

"...don't..." you hiss.

"No shut the fuck up! Why are you hurting me?"

"Why'd you say you hated me?"

"Oh c'mon Johnny, look at what you're doing? You expect me to love the decision you're making of leaving me? Leaving us? Your family? Not just Wes and I. Drayton, Verna, Sissy, Nubbins, and Bubba. You're leaving all of these people for one person that was willing to throw you out..."

"She had to goddamn it!"

"Really? Why? She needed a break?"

You stand there for a minute... you didn't really know why she'd left you here for all these months. She didn't ever tell you why.

"...no goddamn you RN... leave me alone..."

"...Johnny...." Her eyes were fighting back tears.

"If you say it one more time... that's... that's it... forever. There will be no hope of a you and I... I'll leave you alone. Forever."

"Leave. Me. Alone."

She speed walks away in to the house, tears pouring down her face.

YN POV

I hate him, I hate him I hate him! You keep telling yourself over and over and over in your head. Pacing Sissy's room back and fourth. Wes was sleeping sounding in his crib. Sissy peaked her head in to the room.

"YN... they're leaving..." she whispered.

You follow her out of the door, and down the stairs. Sure enough Johnny had apparently stormed in the house soon after you demanding they leave now. Everyone was gathering on the front porch to see them off. You stepped out behind Sissy. Johnny was already in his mother's vehicle, just throwing a hand out the window. It was hard watching someone you loved so much pull away from you so easily. Everything in you was screaming to chase after the car pulling off but that's not what he wanted. It's not what you needed to do. You needed to be strong if not for yourself then for Wes.

After they'd pulled out of view everyone returned to their everyday routines. As if Johnny didn't just walk out of their lives also. He played a strong role in the household, hell now with him gone who was going to be with you at the gas station? So may questions were flooding you along with all the emotions. Your thoughts were silenced as Wes woke up screaming his head off. Nubbins stopped you before going up the stairs handing you the teething rope.

"Thank you Nubbins!" you force a smile to your face.

"He'll be back..." is all he said before walking away.

You furrow your brows before continuing up the stairs. Why would Johnny come back? He'd made it clear that he was done with you. That he didn't love you. He sealed his fate when he'd pulled off with his mother.

Scooping Wes in to your arms handing him the teething rope. You start walking around the room, and realized the spare room Nancy was staying had a light on. Sighing at her not turning the light off feeling like it was disrespectful to the Sawyers to of done so. Walking across the hall the floor creaking under your weight. Pushing the door open with your foot, you step in, and your foot hits a book sliding it across the wood floors. Squinting as you lean to pick it up. It was a hard leather backed book, just the name 'Nancy' etched across its cover.

Having a seat in the chair beside the desk in the room, the light beamed brightly over the worn leather. Scratches, blood, and water marks littered it. Sitting it up right to open it, a photo fell out, it was an odd photo. It was taken from a distance from within a car. Photographed was a man with a beard, and a pregnant woman. Thinking nothing of it surly it was just Nancy and Johnnys father, the man even looked like Johnny. Setting the photo down you notice writing on the back in pen. Parts had been smudged from the year, but the words and other numbers were clear.

"The prized whore"

June 28, 19??

You flip the book open to first dated June 28, rocking Wes with one arm.

There she was with the man I love. Her stomach swollen, that should be me with our child. Not some whore he'd done met at a bar. Guess that bastard figured he couldn't just leave me, and I just get over it. Well I guess he ain't know me to well after all. I will have our child. John ya will rue the day yer left me I will show yous what a true sadness is tonight!

Your eyes widen.

John?

Johnny?

But... Nancy...

Your head is spinning. Dropping the book on to the table before you.

"What the hell am I getting myself in to..." you mutter to yourself.

You knew you had to read more. There were a many things wrong with what you'd just read. You had to know what Nancy did to John... did Johnny... did Johnny know? Were these... were these the skeletons Verna spoke of?

I wonder oh I wonder what skeletons are in Nancy's closet?