Chapter 1.2

⊱∘──AERYN──∘⊰

PRESENT, THE YEAR 2149

My job was to protect the citizens of Erether from many things, including from the superiors of our nation. My job also requires me to kill.

Thanatos Organization was a clandestine organization, dedicated to correcting the ways of the Eretherian rulers how they ruled their nation, and how they treated their citizens. People know us by our symbol, the labyrinth. Our organization operates in the shadows and remains mobile, making it difficult for others to track our movements and locate us. We don't do FBI and shit, like the so-called protectors of the past. Most of our work is dirty work, and we use an entirely different method that goes against the rules of Erether.

We kill our targets for two reasons: Money, and our client's justification on why we need to kill the target. Once we deem the targets as innocent and we find no reason to kill them, we refuse the offer even if we are paid more than the original amount. That's probably the gist of what we do.

And let me just say, I fucking love my job. Ten years ago, I wouldn't even imagine I'd become someone I am now. Well, ten years ago, I was a naive girl, and I was very cowardly.

I work as one of the field agents, and even though it is physically exhausting, I'd choose it over slouching over a chair and facing multiple screens of computers. I love to be in the job, not behind it.

Nitong mga nakaraang linggo, marami kaming assignments. Ang isa sa aming mga kaso ay medyo pangkaraniwan, pero ang pattern ng pagkidnap ay hindi katulad ng anumang imbestigasyon na mayroon kami noon. Tila invisible ang mga kidnapper at sa gabi lang umaatake.

Our investigation started with knowing everything about the household of the victims and their neighbors, asking about the suspicious things they have seen or heard during the day or night, or whether they have noticed anything strange around the neighborhood. The results were quite disappointing. We had nothing.

Walang duda na may kinalaman ang mga Eretherian authorities nito. Hindi sa bias ako pero malakas ang kutob ko na may kinalaman ang mga councils tungkol sa mga nawawalang mga bata at mga mages ang sumusunod sa mga utos. Malamang nga ay ginagamit nila ang kanilang mga kapangyarihan kaya walang magulang na makakapansin na ang kanilang mga anak ay kinukuha sa gabi.

Unfortunately, some of my colleagues rebuke that assumption saying my grudge against the councils is clouding my judgments. Tsk. Hindi ko pa mapapatunayan sa ngayon dahil wala akong ebidensya pero alam kong kagagawan nila ito.

Alam kong hindi tama na maghinala ako sa kanila pero sa totoo lang, hindi naman nila ako masisisi kung bakit sila 'yong tinuturo kong suspect sa kidnapping case. Though it was in history, the government used to forcefully take unwilling subjects to be put under an experiment project to create more magic. They command their soldiers under the guise that they are protecting the city, treating the citizens like total fools. 

But in all honesty, the soldiers are mere marionettes and with one order from the councils, they could kill thousands of men and would come up with a reason they're just trying to Erether a better place. They made people believe that what they did was for the greater good so when the time came that our enemies would come back, we would be able to defend our city properly. I call that bullshit.

I looked around the streets and sighed just by seeing the crowded place. Marami pa rin palang mga tao sa merkado kahit na ang init-init ng araw. Dagdag pa sa init ng panahon, ang dami pang mga tao kaya nag-uunahang bumabagsak ang mga pawis ko sa noo. Tinalian ko nalang ang medyo mahaba kong buhok habang naglalakad ako. Habang nagtitingin ako sa mga tinda sa tabi, tinataponan ko ng matalas na tingin ang mga Eretherian na sundalo sa tabi.