"Welcome. Today you will be having a luncheon with Princes Nirik and Toshi and the other princes and princesses."

The children looked at each other in shock and disbelief. Nirik and Toshi stood and gave a salute to the children.

"Welcome. We are pleased you are here."

The children saluted back though they got the greeting wrong.

"Thank you, empress. We are honored."

Toshi covered a giggle while Nirik just smiled and shook his head. Shaugn chuckled behind his fan. They were so cute.

"To the older kids, some of the really younger ones may need help." Shaugn looked around at the older kids. "Would you be willing to sit beside them and help them out?"

Several children around eight to ten, put their hands over their hearts and bowed. "Yes, your majesty."

Kazim, Radagar, and the steward helped seat all the children at their low tables. The children marveled at the fancy scrollwork and high sheen on the lacquered rosewood tables. Some talked about the fancy embroidery on the silk pillows they sat on.

"My mom makes these," one child beamed.

Another child stroked the legs on his table. "My dad is one of the carpenters."

"I recognize these from the pottery shop in the palace," an older kid held up a ceramic teacup with koi swimming in a lake.

A young girl held up a vase with white and pink flowers. "Are these flowers from our garden?"

"So pretty."

Shaugn smiled. He didn't expect the children to immediately recognize their parents' work. Before he could speak, a loud jingling noise came from far to near. A maid rushed into the room and shouted at the top of her lungs,

"The royal princes and princesses have arrived!"

Everyone was startled. One of the children jumped so hard, his elbow accidentally knocked over their teacup. Seeing the beautiful cup reduced to waste, he burst into tears. The princes and princesses entered the room, adorned in their finest, brightest clothes and accessories. They glanced around the room and cast disdainful looks at the servant children dressed in dark earth tones looking only slightly better than beggars on the street.

Clenching his teeth, Shaugn glared at the maid. "If you shout indoors again, outside of an emergency, I'll have your lips slapped until they are swollen shut."

The maid dropped to her knees. "Apologies, empress. The slave is ignorant."

He ignored her and turned to the princes and princesses. "What took you so long?"

A woman spoke before the children could answer. "They had to change. They couldn't come looking like beggars, your majesty."

"Who are you?" Shaugn looked the woman up and down. She wasn't dressed like a maid or any servant he'd seen in the harem the last time he went.

"I'm the tutor of the youngest prince."

Ignoring her lack of proper address, he lightly fanned himself. "I said children without adults. You may go."

"But the youngest prince –"

He cut her off with a snap of his fan. "-Is three. He can walk, talk, dress, and feed himself. He doesn't need you here. You're dismissed."

Two of the guards near the door turned from the side and faced her. The color drained from her face and she bowed. "Yes, your majesty."

Shaugn turned to the other children and looked them over. "You're late. Find a seat. The oldest prince needs to sit near the youngest prince should he need assistance."