Prince Etan

Dagaslan snored at his feet as Shaugn sat at the desk gnawing on the pen in his hand. His thoughts were on everything but what he'd written down on the coarse sheet of paper in front of him. He had a long fight ahead of him and little time to get ready. The first thing that needed to happen, was to get this body as strong and healthy as his original body and to find ways to defend himself. He knew some hand-to-hand fighting but he knew nothing about weapons and neither did OG. At least learning to fight with a knife or dagger would be good.

He looked down at the snoozing, oversized cat by his feet and shook his head. Daga was a spoiled creature. All he did was eat, sleep, and look for headpets. Shaugn looked up at the ceiling then around the room. When he didn't see his shadow guard, he turned to the stone-like guard in front of his door. "Radagar."

Radagar's eyes shifted over. "Yes, your majesty?"

"Are the shadow guards forbidden from interacting with me?"

Radagar raised a brow. "No, your majesty."

"I want to meet with Yon and Rou." If he was going to build his team, he needed people who could be in more places than one without being noticed.

"Is it something I can do, your majesty?"

He shook his head. As his personal guard, Radagar was easily recognizable. "I need your talents elsewhere."

"Very well. I'll contact them as soon as you leave this afternoon." He looked out the window. "Speaking of which, it's time we left if you still plan to go to the court, your majesty."

Shaugn put his pen down and stood. "That's right. Time flies."

Radagar frowned. "Your majesty, how –"

It was harder than he thought to talk without idioms and other sayings. "Nevermind. It's just a saying. Means time goes fast."

"Ah." Radagar walked out of the room ahead of Shaugn. The two guards outside the door followed behind them to the front courtyard. The palace staff and guards bowed as he approached. He kept his eyes forward and gave a small wave as he passed them. Shaugn had to admit that acting like an important person was becoming easier. Just smile and wave and pretend you're above everyone else.

They entered the front courtyard and stopped. Radagar walked before the head steward and put his hand on his heart but didn't bow. "His majesty is going to the court to see the emperor. Please prepare a rickshav."

Shaugn's ear twitched. Rickshav? Was that anything like a rickshaw? He rubbed his hands together and smiled in excitement. In his time human pulled rickshaws were no longer a thing. Human rights and all that. "I can't wait."

The steward had been walking away when Shaugn spoke. He turned around and bowed. "I'll be faster, your majesty." Before Shaugn could say anything, the steward took off running. Shaugn smacked himself in the forehead. He didn't mean the steward was moving too slowly. He was just excited for his first rickshaw ride.

"Does your head hurt, majesty?" Radagar asked.

Shaugn dragged his fingers over his face. "Huh?"

"You were touching your forehead with a look of pain. Should I summon the physician?"

"No. I'm fine. Thank you." Shaugn shook his head as they walked towards the palace entrance. He'd barely walked outside when the clattering of wheels and running footsteps could be heard. The steward was running as if he was running for his life. Behind him came two men towing an extra-wide rickshaw behind them. The steward nearly fell over as he stepped forward to announce the ride was there.

Feeling guilty, Shaugn tried to help the poor steward up. "My apologies, Marlo. You've worked hard."

Marlo kowtowed. "....my...pleasure....majesty," was squeezed out between pants.