"Who is she talking about?" I thought, wishing to get more context from the conversation than my mother's one-sided part.

   My mother let out a long sigh.

   "Very well then. I will look into it," Sabine relented.

   I tapped Rose's shoulder, earning her attention. I used sign language to ask her if there was anything else she said before my arrival that was suspicious. She gave me a nod before replying, telling me she would explain when we returned to the room.

   "Would you give me a moment? I do believe I have an unexpected audience," Sabine said.

   Rose and I gasped when the thunk of a dagger impaled the wall right in front of our faces. Rose immediately shut the door. We ran through the dark hallway. In the distance behind us, I heard the creak of the secret door opening.

   My heart pounded, not expecting any of that to happen. A million questions going the same pace as I am running through the darkness.

   Who was my mom talking to and talking about? Was she talking about Hawkmoth? What was she going to do? How did she know of our presence? What was with the dagger? Where did she get it and know how to throw it?

   I made it into my room and turned to see if Rose was coming.

   I paled when I did not see her. I could have sworn she was right behind me. Did my mother get to her without me knowing? Maybe Rose escaped down a different tunnel to throw my mother off. The only way she would be able to find us is by hearing since the darkness is quite blinding.

I wanted to go back into the tunnel and make sure Rose was okay. I am unaware of what my mother is capable of.

Yet, I am aware that Rose knows how to take care of herself and has magic at her side. I would not be much use going into a dark tunnel, even with a weapon.

Rose must have some perfume that allows her to see in the dark or something to slow my mother, right? Maybe, Rose could make her forget what happened again.

I hope there are no other servants in the tunnels that would get caught in the middle.

Guilt still gnawed at my stomach, wishing there was something I could do to help Rose. I began to pace for any ideas and glanced at the open secret entry.

"Tikki, what do I do? I cannot just leave Rose to face mother by herself," I asked my Kwami.

Tikki gave me a reassuring smile.

"Do not worry so much, Marinette. Rose is a very capable witch. She has avoided being caught so far and has magic as a weapon. She must know the tunnel system by heart too, better than your mother. I believe she will be just fine," Tikki assured.

I nodded in agreement. I did feel reassured, knowing Tikki was correct. Rose is capable of taking care of herself. I am positive that she will be okay but it still did not sit right with me for abandoning her.

"I do recommend you close the secret door though before someone such as your mother discovers it open," Tikki suggested.

"Oh, yes! I probably should," I squeaked.

That was when there was a knock on my bedroom door. I quickly shut the secret door before making sure I was decent-looking.

"Enter," I allowed. Alya slipped into the room with a smile on her face.

"Hello, Marinette," Alya greeted with a bow of her head, "Have you chosen a wedding dress yet?"

"Hello, Alya," I replied, flinching at her question. The reminder of the wedding being in just a few days was not a pleasant one.