Chapter 18

[So, I apologize that this update took so long. Seriously, the last update was on September of last year like jeesh. Anyway, thank you to those who read this story and continued to support it.

Also, please don't be afraid to leave a vote and a comment on each of the chapters. Actually, one of the only reasons why I remembered the story was because of a notification of someone commenting about how they couldn't wait for the next chapter.

So if you're still here, please know that this update was because your comment motivated me. And to everyone else reading, don't be afraid to leave comments. It really does motivate me to keep going.]

Life really does have a way to make everything stranger and much more hectic. He could still remember when the Claes family first decided to take him in. He was hiding in his darkened room, clutched between the corner of the walls. He could distinctly remember so much tears forming from his eyes that his shirt actually began getting soaked.

Then suddenly, light seeped out from through his door that was slowly being cracked open. He scooted closer to the corner and began to shake profusely, fearing that it might have been the Viscount or Viscountess, ready to give him another punishment for accidentally scaring and/or hurting his older brother.

Of course, he hadn't expected a soft hand gently caressing his head, followed by muffled arguments from outside.

"Come now my dear, I will take you to safety, and to your new family," The calming voice whispered to him, which eased down his shaking body.

'That was when it all started,'

The sounds of his shoes stepping onto the polished floor echoed through the hallways. Their estate was quiet, but not calm. Katarina still hasn't woken up, and it's been almost a week. Despite his limp and weakened state, he continued to walk towards his sister's room.

As he arrived in front his sister's door, he could hear some mumbled conversations from behind. No doubt, it must be their parents and some doctors trying to figure out how to wake her up. He carefully opened the door with his left hand (his right arm is neatly tucked inside a cast while a long piece of cloth suspended around his neck kept it in place) and entered the room.

"But what if--" Millidiana paused mid sentence when the door suddenly opened, revealing the battered and weakened state of her son.

"Oh you poor dear..." She cooed while quickly getting off her seat and picking up Keith, holding him near her chest.

"When will sister wake up?" Keith asked, leaning his small frame onto his mother's chest.

His eyes trailed towards the disheveled figure of his older sister, lying on her bed, unconscious. Her hair had become a lighter color of brown now, the tips had charred, blackened parts. Like from the fire Gerald had to conjure in order to get rid of the monster. There were three doctors taking turns with examining her.

"You don't have to worry, she will awake soon." Millidiana replied while holding her son softly, coddling him like he was as fragile as an egg.

"Her skin is no longer green..." Keith said suddenly as he stared at his sister's visage.

Millidiana looked at her son carefully, before sighing. She carefully walked towards one of the chairs in the room and placed him there. Once he was carefully seated, she kneeled down and looked at her son carefully.

"My dear, we need you to tell us everything that has happened with your sister," She said, her face full of worry.

Keith looked at his mother, all the guilt inside his heart filling him. Both him and his sister had lied to their parents for months, not considering how worried they might become if something bad happened. And something bad did happen.