Chapter 17

Everything happened far too fast for Millidiana Claes. They were just simply enjoying a casual conversation with a family of seamstresses who were interested in their business of dressmaking when suddenly a loud wail echoed through the courtyard. It was barely only a few seconds after when a plethora of guests began running away, while others remained frozen.

She couldn't even remember how she got out. She could vaguely hear her husband telling her to leave and leading others to an open exit. She could vaguely remember her wrist being grabbed by her husband and running towards the inside of the castle for shelter. It was here when she paused and realized that she hadn't seen her children since the king finished his announcement.

Suddenly entrances were being blocked by selfish guests who cared more for their lives, guards were being prevented on going out to save the other remaining guests in the courtyard, the guests were going to the king, pleading him to answer what was happening, and creams and wails of whatever was outside echoed through the walls.

But there was one thing that snapped Millidiana's dazed trance. One thing that made her remember something very important. Her children were nowhere to be seen, and there was now a wall of earth sprouting from their side of the castle.

Millidiana quickly stood up and ran towards the window's along with her husband. And there outside, was the little girl with grown hair standing bravely on the bloody snow, her hands raised up and glowing yellow and the color of her eyes slowly dicipitating.

"KATARINA!" She and her husband screamed, which somehow caught the attention of their little girl.

"My children are out there! You have to open the gates!" Millidiana screamed at the guards, her face contorting in anger.

"I'm very sorry Duchess Millidiana, but we have to consider the safety of everyone inside the castle--"

"There are children outside this castle and you're risking their safety by refusing to open the gates!" Millidiana screeched, growing more and more angrier at the guards.

This is one of those days where Luigi is thankful that Millidiana doesn't have powerful magic, otherwise she would have no doubt destroyed this castle in order to get back to her children. He quickly wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him, trying to prevent her from attacking the guards.

"Something's happening to Lady Katarina!" Someone suddenly shouted, which prompted the Claes parents to stare outside the window.

Katarina was clasping her hands together, and they began glowing a bright shade of green. Millidiana immediately realized that she was summoning her nature magic.

"Katarina! No!" She shouted through the window, which was immediately filtered out by the loud sound of the earth rumbling, and two large vines suddenly sprouted from the ground.

Before the room and halls were filled with horror for the creature. Now, they were filled with shock, confusion, and awe from the sight of the young noble summoning and controlling nature to her will. As she continued to look outside, she realized that Keith, the royal twins, the Ascarts and Mary were outside, all scurrying to take care of the other trapped civilians on the courtyard while simultaneously looking for an exit and treating the wounded.

Millidiana's heart sank. She realized now that a bunch of kids aged 6-8 have now taken up the responsibility of fighting off the horrific creature outside. Her blood was running cold and her entire body trembling as she watched her beloved children attacking and blocking the creature with their respective magic.

"L-Luigi..." She stuttered, her voice shaking and her eyes watering.

Duke Claes didn't answer, for he too was trembling in fear. Katarina was now desperately trying to grab the creature with her vines, but failing due to the creature's body. It didn't seem like there was anything she could physically grab and hold on to.