Only the beginning

Start from the beginning

"Bells, we're talking about my boyfriend's brother, who, might I add, has just been acting like a jerk to you." Bella's face shifted, powering profoundly. "Besides, in my eyes there's only Jazz."

"They're a little off, aren't they?" Margaret furrowed her brows in question, and so Bella proceeded. "The Cullens, they aren't like everyone else, there's something different about them... I simply can't put my finger on it."

"I think you need to have some coffee." Maggie rubbed her knee as she began to rise from the bed, stretching a little. "We're having lunch at Cora's anyway." Bella nodded absently, and somehow, all the calmness she had been transmitting her vanished out of the blue. Her face sharpened as she threw her an unamused look.

"I will find out what is going on, and you won't be so popular anymore." Then she got up and left. Margaret was left frozen with shock, her heart broken in a thousand shards. How could she have been so stupid? Perhaps it was her desperate want of a relationship with her sister, but she never asked to be popular, she simply liked people, she liked talking and listening. People seemed to like it too. It's simple, treat others just as you would like to be treated. Maybe Bella didn't get that, but couldn't she see how hard she was trying to get along with her? And if she did, didn't she care? Even a little bit?

Margaret finally decided it was not worth fussing over, dad was right, she had to stop putting her life on hold, even with Bella there now. She jogged downstairs, and grabbed her bag and car keys. A minute passed, then another, but her sister didn't come down, not a noise was heard. Keys in hand she peeked through the stairs, the bathroom door was closed, and she didn't hear a sound.

"Hey Bells?" Silence. "Do you want a ride?" No answer. For a few minutes she stood there, helplessly. Miraculously Bella exited her room and rushed downstairs, quick as lightning, snatching her backpack and keys in a matter of seconds. "Hey, we're not late, do you want me to ride you?" Margaret asked her, trailing behind her speeding mess.

"I'm not a child, I know how to drive by my self." She snapped, then emerged through the door, once again leaving Maggie standing in a puddle of sorrow and regret. As she left the house and locked the door she dialed Rosalie's number on her phone, hearing it beep for barely a second before she picked up.

"Maggs? Are you alright?" Her voice rang through her ears, echoing over the sound of her car door closing shut.

"Yes- No, I'm not sure..." It took her a second to recompose herself before continuing. "It's my sister. We were fine, we were just talking, like normal sisters do." Her voice cracked a little, soon after the tears began rolling down her cheeks. "She laughed, gosh it's been so long since we had laughed together!" The sentence choking out of her throat. "One second everything was perfect, the next she's saying that there's something off about you guys..."

"What do you mean?" Rose's voice was calm, but Margaret had known her for long enough to know that she was freaking out, for her family's safety.

"She had to sit next to Edward at biology and he kept backing away from her, acting odd and now she's saying she wants to get closer to him and find out what is up with him. I didn't know what to do."

"Ok, don't worry, we'll handle this." Rose assured her. There was noise over her line, and Margaret supposed the rest of the family had heard them. "Thank you for telling us."

"Of course, I'll try my best to avoid her finding out." She wasn't very sure how she would do it, but they were practically her family too, so she would figure it out.

"And, Maggs?" Rose spoke, her tone softer, kinder. "We're all here whenever you need to talk."

"Thanks Rose, I'll take you up on that." Her cheeks ached when she hung up, from her smile. Rose was one of the kindest persons she had ever met, and she was grateful to be able to call her her friend.