11 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐗-𝐁𝐎𝐘𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃 [𝟐]

THE EX-BOYFRIEND [2]

You stand there, caught in his embrace, completely frozen in the moment. Ronan? Here? The shock leaves you speechless, your breath suspended until he withdraws slightly and asks you how you've been. You force your focus back, blinking rapidly and sucking in a breath.

"Yeah, I'm good," you stammer out falsely, your own disinterest barely concealed. "I guess I'm good. And you?" The question is more out of obligation than curiosity.

"I'm fantastic now that I've tracked you down," Ronan declares, the vibrant green of his eyes penetrating into yours. "You know, your mother messages me all the time. She's always asking me how I'm doing and whether I've paid you a visit yet. I feel bad when I have nothing to share, so here I am!" He exudes excitement, a stark contrast to your stunned demeanour.

It was like life for the past few days was too good to be true. Cornered and vulnerable, you feel one of the tables press against your back while Ronan looms over you with an unsettling presence. You scan your surroundings, searching for help, but how would anyone here know you're in trouble?

Ronan just hugged you. He greeted you with fake sincerity. No one's initial reaction would be to suspect him of lying, and certainly, no one in the café seems concerned enough to spare you a glance. They're all absorbed in their own conversations and beverages.

"Ronan," you whisper, your voice trembling with the hope that this might be some twisted illusion. "Why are you here?"

Ronan scoffs, aware that his sudden appearance has thrown you off balance. He anticipated this reaction from you. "I already told you. I'm here to see you," he asserts, leaning closer to you, his face hovering dangerously close to yours. "I've come to visit my girlfriend."

Your breath catches in your throat. Ever since you moved to Tokyo, your encounter with Kuroo had made you momentarily forget the shackles of your relationship with Ronan. You hadn't officially ended it, because every time you tried, he wouldn't allow it.

"Girlfriend," you murmur with a diminishing voice. Ronan nods, confirming the fact. "I've told you plenty of times that I don't want to be your girlf—"

"Do I look like I give a fuck about what you think?" Ronan whispers with a menacing edge, his gaze locking onto yours with a chilling determination. It's astonishing how he could muster the audacity to address you this way with all of the people around. "Everyone still believes we're together. Just accept it."

With that, he adjusts his posture, standing upright before running a hand through his hair. "You haven't responded to any of my texts! I was so worried," Ronan begins again, putting on a show for anyone who might be watching, striving to appear as the caring boyfriend. "I had to call your mother to ask about you. She informed me that you'd changed your phone number! That's when she gave me your address and your new number and suggested that I visit your place.

"I was in your building's lobby, and I thought it'd be nice to explore the neighbourhood a bit," Ronan continues, placing his hands on your shoulders, instantly reinstating the weight you'd fought so hard to shed off. "I found this café and decided to surprise you with a small treat, but it looks like you beat me to it."

Of course, you think, still struggling to find your voice. Of course he would use my mother to get to me. It's only been a couple of days without him, all of them spent free from his hold. But now he's here, already found his way back into your life.