(XIII)Deep Breaths

4 Days Later......

"Can we go to the dog park Mama Fox?"

My heart stutters, but I don't falter, as I keep picking flowers with him.

"If that's what you want Goldfish" I swallow
"There's gonna be a bunch of pretty ones today. The TV said so" He nods happily, adding a sunflower to the bunch.
"Then to see the pretty dogs is where we go" I smile at him

How was I going to pull this off?

After a quick, frantic conversation with Haymitch, he had Venia at my door in an hour. She'd given me a beautiful, but quite large, dark sunhat that covered the entire top half of my face, with big loose curls framing yet hiding the rest away from prying eyes. I listen to her prattle on about Effie's new ventures into producing, her own boutique doing well too, as she dressed us. Lucas was openly enthralled with her light purple hued skin while Venia styled his hair artfully, like Finnick's, while we got ready.

Lucas had let her know that he'd always wanted teeth just like mine. To my horror and fascination, she had a solution to this because of my time in the Hunger Games.

After the end of the war, footage of me using my teeth in battle had become a craze that made all the kids want some of their own, to protect their family and friends too. Temporary canines were now produced in 3 different sizes they'd seen mine able to expand to on film. A clear solution was brushed inside the tooth cap, then slipped onto the natural canines of the person wearing them. They apparently could last anywhere from 3 hours to a week. One of the hottest trends to ever hit Panem. Capitol kids weren't the only ones wearing them, the districts sold them out for months before the Capitol could even get a shipment out.

"Oh honey, when was the last time you checked your bank account? This is just the beginning of it all. Effie and Haymitch made sure that anything with even hinting towards your likeness, be approved by them and Peeta, in a vote first and foremost. If it's vetoed by 2 than it's not to be brought back to the table for 5 years. You get a percentage of every sale. They didn't have much choice, what with so much free market, and your life being a crucial part of history now"
"No, I get it. It's just weird to see that people actually want them. Mine weren't a choice. At least theirs are"
"They're actually quite pretty on you. The most natural and effervescent I've ever seen. I'd always felt as though they were something that were just supposed to have happened naturally anyway. With you at least. They fit you. In many different ways"

I didn't know how to respond to that so, I just didn't, choosing to silently watching Lucas get fitted for his chompers. Just trying to process and feel normal with Lucas as my ever bright compass.

"Now hold your mouth just like that for ten seconds, ok?" Venia gushed, happily finger combing some wayward strands of his hair.

He enjoyed the pampering and reveled in Venia's gushing over him. Apparently, she'd always wanted to dress Finn and this was just as good. After the ten seconds, Lucas closed his mouth slowly, adjusting his little lips to the new growth within. It takes some getting used to. Once comfortable enough he sits in my lap, face tilted up to mine as he flashes me a wide grin. Ok they look fuckin adorable on him. His henna was still bright on his arms so he looked like a wild cub.

"I'm cool just like you now Momma Fox!" he beamed
"You've always been cool Goldfish" I chuckle, nuzzling my nose against his.
"You two look dazzling! I need a picture for Cinna, stay just like that!"

Lucas wore some light blue shorts and a deep green t shirt with a school of goldfish painted in detail across the front, open toed sandals on his little pedicured toes. I wore a simple orange dress that faded into different shades of the color, dandelions and sunflowers scattered across the fabric. It was cut a little low in the front for my taste but the sapphire-gold necklace complemented the look nicely. I put some black ankle booties, from the arsenal she'd brought, on my feet that were actually pretty comfortable to walk in. After Venia snaps a few shots, she gives a bubbly farewell of hugs and kisses before taking her leave.