Chapter 3: Welcome to Hogwarts, Sorting

Start from the beginning

They walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, oak front door.

"Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?" Hagrid raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door.

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in esmerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern look face; Rhea reconized her inmediatly as Professor McGonagall. She was thankful now that Dora had drescribe to her all of the staff members in details, so she would not make the sames mistakes as her cousin when she will start her journey of mischief making.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall" said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

She pulled the door wide. The entrance hall was so big Rhea was sure that they could fit at least two of her home in here. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. The sound of hundreds of voices from the doorway to their right signaling that the rest of the students were already there. This made Rhea feel nervous, as she cluched Hermione's arm a bit more tightly than intended. Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall.

They croweded in, standing rather closer together than they would usually have done, peering about nervously. Hermione and Rhea stood behind Harry and Ron.

"Welcome to Hogwarts" said Professor McGonagall. " The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats at the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The Sorting is a very import ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend your free time in your House common room.

"The four Houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose House points. At the end of the year, the House with most points is awarded the House cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to wichever House becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes infront of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting".

Rhea notice how the Professor McGonagall's eyes lingered on a few students, and tried not to laugh as Harry tried deseperetly to flatten his hair, but to no avail.

"I shall return when we are ready for you" said Professor McGonagall. "Please wait quietly"

"How exactly do they sort us into Houses?" Harry asked Ron. Rhea who was standing behind him listened closely. Her Aunt, Uncles refused to tell her about the sorting ceremony. Her cousin gave her some hints only.