Insanity

The path forward was narrow and damp, the dense forest turning more jungle-like in its plants. Small frogs hopped across the way right before the groups feet, and tadpoles swam along streams running along the path.

"We're here... or, in the outskirts at least," France said. Texas nodded.

"It's... a lot less 'kingdom' like than the reptile kingdom...," Texas said, feeling suddenly out of place. However, he noticed Coahuila- his normally uptight and somewhat hotheaded sister- looking at peace. He smiled softly, knowing this kingdom was more her style than the mammal and avian-dominate empire they belonged to.

"So... how far until we reach the temple?" Nuevo León asked nervously. Leon slipped on the slick path beneath him, and Alberta offered his arm to steady the Prince.

"It's a bit deeper in the jungle," Alberta answered, before flashing a teasing grin. "Just hold my hand, your highness, I can tell you're frightened," Alberta teased. Leon smiled and rolled his eyes, clutching his hand.

"Lead the way, puppy," Leon teased. The pair giggled at each other, the others watching with a smile on their faces.

Meanwhile, California and Alabama were resting in the wagon. Alabama sharpened his spear, while California silently fingered the necklace around his own neck. The charm was a pair of wings, meant to symbolize and remind him of his boyfriend, though California cringed thinking about how Texas didn't even realize they were in a relationship until a few days ago.

"What's wrong?" Alabama asked almost accusationally, his gaze not deviating from his spear.

"... Do you think Texas loves me?" California asked. Alabama chuckled.

"It's obvious," Alabama said.

"He didn't even know we were dating... o-or, I guess... he never realized I thought of him as more than a friend...,"

"He always thought of you as more than a friend too, Cali... we both know Texas was raised by humans; humans have trouble understanding affection at times," Alabama said. California frowned.

"I just feel like our relationship is... odd... I mean, how did you and Louisiana get together?" California asked. Alabama physically paused, before letting out an uncharacteristic laugh and joyful grin. He looked over at California with a sweet expression; the kind you may give to a young child still oblivious to the world.

"Me and Louis are a lot like you and Texas, really... we met under very similar circumstances. He saved me from the bear trap," Alabama said. California nodded curiously, his eyes tracing the impressive scars worn on Alabamas residual leg.

"After he saved you... you stayed with him?" California asked. Alabama nodded. "When did you two start... dating?" California asked, however he suddenly realized he'd never really been told that Alabama and Louisiana were a couple; throughout his childhood, he assumed his two 'parents' had to be linked in some way.

"We never started dating, ever... I've never referred to him as anything other than... well, his own name," Alabama said.

"Do you not... I mean, you do care for him, but... is there no love?" California asked. Alabama took a deep breath.

"Of course there is Cali... I guess that's what I'm trying to say... Louis and I... it's hard, because we never truly addressed what we are... but we know what we have. We have a family. We have a shared bed and a shared way of life. We share dreams, secrets, jokes, care... the only thing we don't share is... I guess, a title. Did that ever make anything else less real?" Alabama asked. California shook his head.

"Of course not... Louis loves you, honest," California said. Alabama smiled, but shook his head ever so slightly.

"I guess I shouldn't assume... but I know all the things you and Texas share... it's always meant the world to him. You just gave him permission to say it to you truthfully... y'know, it was the humans who invented marriage, us Aerillians just adopted the concept," Alabama said.

"I guess... so we'd know for sure just how much that love means," California said. Alabama nodded.

"Sometimes even the most obvious things are completely obscure if nobody calls attention to it," Alabama said. California nodded, smiling to himself. "You're not getting married yet, by the way," Alabama said. California gasped dramatically.

"You're so strict!" California exclaimed. Alabama smiled and nodded. Suddenly, the wagon stopped.

"Huh? We're here?" California asked. The two got out of the wagon to see the group in confrontation with a familiar wolf pack. Though no fighting was taking place, everyone was wielding a weapon.

"California, get back in the wagon," Alabama said softly.

"What? Why?" California whispered defiantly, nervously glaring at the wolf glaring into Texas's eyes as Texas shielded Nuevo León from the pack. Alabama similarly pushed California to be behind his back, balancing on his one leg so he may hold his spear in a defensive position.

"What do you want?" Texas spat fiercely, spreading his wings to make him appear larger. The wolf cracked a grin- an insulting nonchalant smirk.

"Revenge," The wolf whispered, before the whole pack charged into the group. Within the brief bought of chaos, Leon felt someone's hand torn from his grasp...

"ALBERTA!" Leon screamed, seeing the wolves drag Alberta to a stream and dunk his head into the water, the remaining wolves defending the pack members determined to drown Alberta in the lake. The birds in the group shifted and flew around the wolves, trying to peck and claw the wolves attention away from the execution, but aborted the mission when a wolf grabbed Tennessee out of the air and chucked him against a tree. Wolves in the pack started facing off against members of the group, diverting their attention from Alberta's desperate fight against the wolves keeping his head submerged in the swampy water...

Leon felt his fear boil over and spill out in the flames of rage. His sharp nails grew longer and thicker, his teeth expanding too big and sharp for his mouth... Leon would often fight this uncontrollable urge to shift into a wild beast, but as bubbles began to form around Albertas head in the water, in an instant Leon got on all fours, and in his lion form let out a roar that shook the earth...

Blood poured like waterfalls down a muddy cliff in heavy rainstorms. The group watched in awe as Leon sent the wolf pack in a frenzied retreat, the only wolves left behind staggered in pools of their blood. When Leon shifted back, his eyes were filled with tears as he gagged from the repulsive taste of foreign blood on his teeth. Alberta leaned against him, trying to calm him down but unable to quell his own shaking. France mercied the wolves left behind by healing them and directing them away, while the wolves wide eyes watched Leon in terror. Leon looked just as terrified as they were.

"This is why I don't like to shift... I've only ever shifted out of anger... It always ended like this...," Leon whispered. Alberta was speechless. Meanwhile, Arkansas and Mississippi tried their best to not freak out as Tennessee laid unconscious in the wagon.

"He's breathing, mockingbirds. He'll be ok," France said, nearly dismissive, but simply overwhelmed by the intensity of the situation. California and Texas sat with Alabama as he wrapped a wound on his arm with gauze.

"I don't know why you tried defending me... you only have one leg...I... I should've tried harder to make sure you weren't... hurt...," California said softly. Alabama shook his head.

"Were both ok... that's all I care about," Alabama said. Texas wrapped his arm around California.

"We are almost done with our mission... we can go home... I promise to take you on a nice date to make up for the pain... it's my fault any of this happened," Texas breathed.

"Don't blame yourself, your highness... all of us make bad decisions to save the ones we love... It's what makes life so difficult and incredible," Alabama said. Texas nodded, gazing over at Leon being comforted by Alberta as Coahuila stitched up his wounds.

"You're right...,"