Chapter 38: The Eyeball Thief

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry... You two took an oath and signed a piece of paper, that made you virgins again... And that was enough?" You scrutinised.

"It was enough for the pagan god..." Dean countered.

Your face screwed up in disbelief. "You're messing with me. There's no way..."

Unfortunately, your skepticism brought on more of the story and a detail with it, that you didn't want to know. Dean had had a one night stand with the group leader, who just so happened to be an ex porn star. Sam insisted that Dean really wasn't making things up, which just made it worse for you. Was it hot in the car today?

It then became your turn to claim too much detail was being given. Raising your hands in submission, you leant back against the seat and muttered. "Yeah okay... I regret even asking..."

Both men chuckled at you. Dean going one step further by asking. "I thought you would've read about it in the Supernatural books..."

"What?" Sam turned to look back at you in disgust. "I thought you only read the first few chapters and then stopped..."

"Oh she did... Until Charlie gave her a soft porn guide to all our, sexual conquests, in those books and where to find them!" Dean added, pointing to you with his thumb.

"What?!" Sam asked again. This time with much more animation in his voice.

Defensively, you answered back. "I didn't read the sex scenes! She told me the page numbers so I could avoid them!..." You then turned your head to face Sam directly. "...She only suggested I read them, when we weren't talking." Your hand waved back and forth between you and Dean for emphasis. "You know, after the Junction City fiasco?"

Sam stared at you for a second before turning to Dean, looking very serious. "Dude. We gotta find a way to delete those books."

"Yup." Dean agreed.

*****

You arrived at the crime scene sometime before eleven. There wasn't much to go on by the way of evidence in the office building itself. However, watching the security footage of the back alley behind the crime scene, brought with it some bad news. The murderer responsible for taking the girl's eyeballs, was a Styne. An Eldon Styne, according to the tenancy agreement.

Whether that was his real name or not, was another matter. But Sam had picked up on the tiny detail that gave him away when he asked the landlord to zoom in on the man's arm. The Styne family crest that you had all seen in the Men of Letters file was clearly tattooed there. Just like the thugs you had dealt with in Des Moines, had had on theirs.

The iPad screen in the landlords hand was still zoomed in on the tattoo when Dean asked, "How long was he renting the office for?"

Juggling the iPad in one hand and the tenancy agreement in the other, the landlord had to flick through the paperwork before answering Dean's question. "Uh. About a month... He said he was doing some kind of clinical trial with student volunteers... But he never mentioned eyeballs..."

"Guess you're gonna ask that next time huh?" Dean commented with a quiet snort.

As your own eyes rolled at Dean's ever inappropriate comment, Sam's phone began to ring, distracting you all for a brief second. All of you watched on as he pulled it out of his pocket to check the screen. "Excuse me." He said as he stepped away from you.

Your attention turned back to the conversation at hand and you motioned towards the tenancy agreement. "Um. Can you give us a copy of that?" You asked.

"Yeah. You can have this one actually. I've got a digital version somewhere on here." He replied as he raised the iPad in the air and handed you the paperwork.