Issue 18: What Makes A Hero

Start from the beginning

"No friggin' way." Gus said as he stared at his phone. "You've...you've got to be kidding me."

Vee turned. "Gus? You okay?"

Gus then held his phone over to her. "Read this aloud."

Vee hummed before her eyes widened. "Interview with Maestro!? What!?"

Luz nearly crushed her locker door as she turned her head. "Say what now?"

Gus then played the interview, skipping the introduction surprisingly enough.

"Hey, why'd you skip it?" Vee asked.

Gus sighed. "My dad's a reporter, remember? Introductions are all the same. Let's just get to the juicy parts."

"So, Maestro, right?"

"That's correct, good sir."

"Intriguing name. So, what exactly made you come to our city? Does it just attract superheroes now?"

"Well, after hearing about Wittebane Enterprises creating that Golden Goblin fellow, I knew I had to step in. This world has just as much evil as where I come from."

"You...say you come from another world?"

"How else do you think I have these powers? I'm from a place that's unlike any other and after hearing about this Golden Goblin, I stepped in! A few beasts from my world followed me, but you can all rest knowing they'll be put in the dirt where they belong."

"So...you believe Wittebane Enterprises created The Golden Goblin? How do you even know what Wittebane Enterprises is?"

"Ummm, there's a giant building with their name on it."

There was laughter from the video, but Luz, Gus, and Vee were just silent after the comment about their friend.

"It wasn't hard to figure out both. Wittebane Enterprises created the glider and the boy who stole it. My only regret is letting that Spider-Witch deal with it. A bridge exploded!!! And I don't see her paying for the property damage."

"Something tells me you aren't fond of Spider-Witch even though arguably enough, she's been here longer than you? Do you two have a history?"

"A history? No. Never met her earlier and I feel ashamed to have-"

Luz then reached over and shut the video off, growling to herself. "Let's just get to class..."

But much to her horror that night, there was a report of a successful robbery. Someone had even gotten shot.

And Maestro wasn't there. And neither was Spider-Witch.

Luz stared desperately at her phone, clutching it tightly before she let go of it once she felt her super strength kicking in. She then stepped over to the window, a look of shame upon her face.

She closed her eyes before opening the window and then hopping out of it, transforming into Spider-Witch and then pulling the window shut with a golden web.

Spider-Witch swung high into the air and then landed on a bus, taking a moment to just sit there and process what had happened.

Someone had gotten shot. And she wasn't there.

She looked down at her own hands, starting to remember words that she would never make herself forget. The words of her father.

'When you have great power, there comes great responsibility.'

Spider-Witch shut her eyes tightly as she clenched her fists. "...and I didn't use that power...s-someone could be d...dea..."

She then hopped off the bus and onto a nearby building, latching onto it and letting herself breathe as she climbed onto the roof.

Spider-Witch then just sat there, curling up as the sounds of a gunshot echoed in her mind.

That horrible sound...and then her father laying there, barely clinging onto life...

Spider-Witch couldn't forget the rage she felt. The absolute anger and hatred she felt for the man who killed her father. She didn't even know his name, but she wouldn't forget the terrified look on his face.

She wanted to kill him that day, but she didn't.

Spider-Witch felt tears under her mask as the sounds and sights of the city she desperately wanted to protect started to disappear. All she could feel or hear was her soft sobs.

But as she cried, something crawled closer to her. It was drawn to her for some reason.

The black ooze kept crawling closer and closer to Spider-Witch, with tiny little hands even reaching out from the puddle that was the ooze.

It then latched onto her cloak, enveloping the navy blue fabric and turning it into a sickening black.

Spider-Witch then stood up and hopped right off the roof, swinging into the night once again, completely unaware that she now had an unexpected guest...