Trial

Aman walked into the room with his head held high. He was unbothered that he had been detained fresh from his travels and brought to court.

There were three desks in the courtroom, and at the leftmost sat a young woman. The centre desk held five greying men in similar dress to Aman. The desk on the right was empty.

"Is this the man?" one of the elder men inquired.

"Yes!" the woman shouted fearfully.

"Major, you are accused of abusing your position and taking advantage of this woman."

Aman took his place at the empty desk and turned to the woman, saying, "I meant my promise to you. You will not be harmed, but you have to tell the truth."

"Major! You will not address your victim. Explain yourself."

"I did not harm her."

The men at the desk argued back and forth, calling Aman's statement ludicrous as they had witnesses, evidence, and the victim's testimony. They laid out the punishment Aman would face for his crimes and lying to the court, then cast their votes. They declared him guilty and ordered the guards to strip him of his uniform.

"When did the Inquiry Board have the right to decide the fate of officers without the discipline committee?" A voice came from the door.

"How dare you interrupt the Inquiry, General Beast?"

The general walked towards the centre table, dragging a beaten man behind him.

"Talk!" he shouted, tossing the man forward.

The man confessed that he had altered the inventory ledgers and hired the woman to frame Aman. His confessions included several other attempts to sabotage Aman. The woman, realising she would be found guilty with her employer, looked to Aman for help. But he ignored her and walked out of the room, a free man.