A little Green...

Kristiano had always admired Hassan. Hassan conversed easily with ladies at balls, he started a small successful enterprise without his family's influence. Hassan seemed to be free of his family. Kristiano felt burdened by his family, always having to consider his actions, how they reflected on the family. Anyone he conversed with had to be weighed and measured, who were their family, their associates, what were their motivations, it wore him out. Hassan was laid back, many found it easy to approach him. Kristiano on the other hand was grave, people confessed of needing to work up the courage to approach him, though they loved to converse once they got to know him.

Both Kristiano and Hassan were lieutenants of the Green Lees troop. Green Lees had been stationed on the border with Veullea. They had been caught during reconnaissance in Veullea territory. The troop fought their way out, with the officers bringing up the rear. All five officers had been seriously injured, but they had returned with information on Veulla army movements along the border.

Green Lees was temporarily assigned to the intelligence Bureau tasked with analsying information and compiling reports from the Veullea border. Central command assigned the officers personal nurses, who were later reassigned as assistants. Eliza Henry had been Kristiano's nurse. While the others were taken in by her, Kristiano had not considered her and maintained a work only approach in their interactions.

Initially he had found her assignment as his assistant unnecessary, but he soon developed an admiration for her. Despite her circumstances, her ability to write and comprehend complex instructions gave him a new respect for her.

Kristiano and Eliza worked together for three months and were fast acquaintances, he taught her things beyond what was necessary for an assistant. Soon he allowed her the autonomy to compile and relay reports without his perusal.

They often sat together at lunch, under one of the trees in the training yard. The more they knew each other, the deeper his fancy grew. He knew she lived a ways from the western port, an old house at the junction where the river split, near the slums of Western Port city.

They had more information to compile and analyse, as skirmishes on the Veullea and Ramzie borders increased, many late nights were spent at the office. While Kristiano's carriage always awaited him, Eliza relied on hired shared carriage to get home.

In his worry for her safety, Kristiano introduced her to Zephyra, Hassan's assistant. Zephyra was an uncouth brazen woman, but also the only woman Kristiano knew who lived near enough to Eliza. The two women took to each other quickly, Kristiano was happy. Returning home at night unaccompanied would put Eliza at risk, with Zephyra she had some form of safety.

For a while things were fine, Kristiano began courting Eliza, she attended a couple balls and dinners on his arm. But it didn't take long for things to take a turn. Eliza became reserved in their interactions, spent fewer lunches in his company. She declined his invitations and seemed shun him. Kristiano dismissed it, perhaps he had been too aggressive in his pursuit of her. Then he heard a rumor, of Hassan also courting Eliza, they had been seen together at a few private balls.

When he approached Eliza, she confessed, Hassan had been courting her. She apologised, saying that being with him had been stifling, she felt at ease with Hassan. Kristiano's blood boiled at Eliza's admission. Hassan!

"Hassan frequents harlot houses."

"He has confessed, and has refrained since our courtship began."

"Promise me you will not lie with him."

Eliza was dejected by Kristiano's request, he saw her as a simple woman.

"Eliza promise me you will not lie with him."

"I...Promise..."

Sometime later Eliza and the other assistants were reassigned as nurses, Kristiano and Hassan were also permanently assigned to the Intelligence Bureau. Their desks side by side. Hassan annoyed Kristiano, the sight of him, the sound of his voice, the fall of his feet on the wooden floor, the drag of his chair, the scritch of his pen, the flap of his papers, the mere mention of his name aggravated him constantly everyday. Worse were the moments when Hassan talked about Eliza, Kristiano's rage boiled over blocking out everything, he saw red, felt the tension as his hands tightened around Hassan's neck. Once he almost did grab Hassan by the neck, but willed his hand to the chair instead, a forced smile on his face.

Kristiano was losing himself, everyday was a challenge to stay sane. He was sitting under a tree in the training yard when Zephyra approached him.

"Hello Kristiano."

"Zephyra. How is Eliza?"

"Fine, though she doesn't need me to look after her anymore."

Kristiano sighed. "Why did she accept Hassan's courtship?"

"Your mother."

"What?"

"Your mother told her not to aspire above her station."

"Still. Hassan was courting you."

"He was."

Kristiano stood up looking at Zephyra. There was a playful smile on her face, that made him angry.

"You were supposed protect her, not throw her to Hassan like a bone to a dog." He turned away.

Zephyra laughed hysterically. "I didn't throw her, I simply brought her along whenever Hassan invited me out."

Kristiano whirled around baring his teeth at her. He was angry, at Hassan, Zephyra, his mother but most of all himself. Zephyra's arm circled his neck.

"Our families share ties, you can always court me." She smiled up at him.

He walked away from her, a mix of disgust and annoyance crossed his face.

"I do not love Eliza because she's beautiful."

"What the hell is it about her?! What makes her better than me?!"

"She comes from a station lower than you, but carries herself with the modesty and dignity of a noble. Your demeanor in no way distinguishes you from a harlot."

"Perhaps I can help you, win Eliza back." Zephyra chuckled as she smiled deviously.