4.

Jonah walked into the house and smirked when he saw his three year old little sister, Madison. "Madi, girl." He said.

Madison looked at her big brother and smiled, showing off her dimples. "Hi JoJo!" She said as she stood up and ran to hug him.

Jonah picked her up and kissed her cheeks before walking completely into the living room. "Hey Shay. I'm glad y'all feeling better." Jonah said as he gave her a one arm hug.

Shayla—who also goes by Shay—was Jonah's nanny while growing up, but she and Killian began dating when Jonah was about five. They ended up married and tried to have kids, but Shayla was having fertility issues. They eventually gave up once Jonah started high school. However, they were blessed with Madison a couple years later without even trying.

"Yes, me too. I'm thinking about pulling Madi out of that daycare because it seems like she gets sick almost every month." Shayla said. "The only reason why I put her in is to have her engage with other kids."

Shayla and Madison did not join Killian in Memphis because both of them fell ill. Killian wasn't going to go, but Shayla wanted him to celebrate with his father on his birthday.

"Yeah, I don't need my bumpkin getting sick. Ain't that right?" Jonah said, making Madison smile.

"Oh, Jonah. What are you doing tomorrow? Your dad is planning something for us and we need someone to watch her." Shayla asked.

"I'm chillin' with my friends tomorrow, but she can join. They love kids." Jonah replied.

"Are you sure?"

Jonah nodded. "Yeah, it's cool. It'll just be me, Kyran, Asia, and our new friend Cali."

"Cali?" Killian questioned as he emerged from the hallway after walking down the stairs. "Who is Cali?"

"My new friend from Memphis. She transferred from the University of Memphis. Her mom said that she knew you and granddad. Her name is Karis, you know her?" Jonah said.

Killian scoffed. "Yeah, I know her—and you don't need to be associating with Cali or none of her people."

"Why?" Jonah asked.

"Look, it's history behind this and we don't need to be opening up a can of worms. I don't want my daughter around her either." Killian told him.

Jonah sucked his teeth. "Cali is good people. Whatever beef you got with her family has nothing to do with us. I'm not about to cut her off just because you said to."

"I'm telling you this for your own good, son." Killian said.

"Well, I'll just see for myself. I'm an adult and I have a right to do so." Jonah retorted.

Killian nodded. "Absolutely, but you won't be watching Madi if you take her around Cali."

"Aight then—I'll just stay here and watch her." Jonah compromised. He didn't feel like going back and forth with Killian any longer.

"Aight then." Killian replied.

There was an awkward silence, and Madison looked at Shayla who looked at her at the same time. Madison shrugged her little shoulders, making Shayla laugh silently.

-

"Ayeee, go Cali! Get it, Cali! Go Cali! Get it, Cali!" Asia yelled as Cali twerked while wiping the table.

They just finished eating dinner and they were cleaning up while listening to Sexxy Redd. Asia's phone began to ring over the bluetooth speaker, making the music cut off.

She sucked her teeth as she dried off her hands and answered it. "Hello?"

"I thought you was coming over to sit on my face." Kyran said, causing Asia to hurry and take the phone off bluetooth.