20

A/N: I promise more happy, smutty chapters are coming my darling angels, stick with me pls :,)

"Ah, just the little human I was looking for," Amarantha's scarlet mouth curved up into a viscous smile. She leaned against the doorway as she looked down at where I'd been having my meltdown on the floor. I scrambled up and gave a messy bow, keeping my head low to not give her an excuse to attack.

"My Queen," I sniffed.

"Oh, am I?" She grinned. "That's so good to hear. It's been a long time coming that you and I had a chat, don't you think?" She clicked Rhysand's door shut, walking to perch elegantly at the small table he frequented. I wondered if Amarantha had really ever been in this room much. He seemed to always be required to travel to her on command.

"How can I be of service?" I asked, clearing my throat and trying my best to sound polite and weak. The more she underestimated, the better.

"Your lover," she said, arching a brow. My heart stammered in my chest and threatened to give out altogether. Where was Rhysand? He said he'd be here soon. I swallowed and chewed my cheeks to keep myself from turning to look at the door.

"My lover?" I asked softly.

If she tried to hurt me here, there would be no one coming to the rescue like Rhysand had when I'd walked on shards of glass to keep Tamlin from decapitation. I wondered where he was now, what she'd done with him.

"Tamlin?" She raised a brow, like she'd read my mind. I blinked, stumbling back a step. I sniffed again, forcefully and quickly wiping my cheeks that were still stained with tears. I likely looked highly pathetic.

"The traitor," I nodded, and Amarantha's lips twitched.

"You're quite a clever girl, aren't you, Feyre?" She said, her voice like a velvet caress down my spine. It made my skin bristle. The sensation entirely missed its mark and came off all wrong.

"In what way, my Queen?"

She smiled wider, batting away my question with her hand, like it hadn't truly mattered. She tapped her nails on the wood surface of Rhysand's table, and my eyes fixated on the dangerous spikes they were carved into. Weapons.

"How are you finding life under the care of my sweet Rhysand?" she hummed, narrowing her eyes in on me suspiciously. Sweat beaded on the back of my neck as I tried to keep my thoughts straight and politely answer her question, but I was starting to panic about where Rhysand had gone.

"I am happy to be of service, my Queen," I bowed my head. She chuckled.

"He is quite a lay, isn't he?" She scrunched up her nose playfully and my stomach turned sour. The thought of her hands on his body- oh, it made me want to gouge her eyes out. Knowing how many times she'd stolen his body from him made me nauseated.

"He says I am his toy to use as he pleases," I concede, hoping she's buying the story I'm feeding her. I prayed to the gods it matched the one Rhysand had been telling. "My pleasure and comfort are not of concern."

Amarantha howled with laughter, slapping her hands together joyfully.

"Well, cauldron be damned," she cackled. "He's broken you in like a wild horse, hasn't he? He might even be better than me at whipping disobedient whores into shape. I suppose he did learn from the best." She tossed her hair back over her shoulders, the blood-red strands tumbling down her back.

"Yes, my Queen," I murmured. She snorted.

"Well, little bird, you're treated to the night off I suppose," she hummed to herself, satisfied with what she'd found here. "Although it would intrigue me to have your answer on one thing." There was a wicked glimmer in her eyes, and I did not like it.