17

I woke the next morning to Rhysand climbing over me and off the bed. He shrugged on his button-up as he watched me smile lazily up at him, bedhead and all. He rolled the cuffs of his sleeves, smirking as he watched me watch him dress. He tugged on his trousers and fastened them, tightening his belt and slipping on his shoes.

"I'll see you tonight," Rhys winked, turning on his heel to walk to the door.

"I'll be the one on the leash," I teased. His eyes darkened slightly.

"My mouthwatering rival," he mused with a soft smile before slipping out of the door and disappearing. My face heated and I grumbled, rolling over and shoving my face into the pillows, trying to keep myself from screaming. How did he make me feel this way with bare minimum effort?

I eventually lulled myself back to sleep for a few more hours, my body relishing in the rest it was getting while sleeping between Rhysand's silk sheets. I had been down here long enough to know I wouldn't be getting out easily. I knew what I'd always feared most, and that was the opinions of the people around me that I imagined were teetering on the verge of rejecting me regardless.

When I'd thought of Rhysand, I'd thought about the Court members sneers. I'd heard Tamlin's accusations of betrayal, echoed with the distaste of my own inner moral code. How could I in good conscience swoon over a vicious and unrepentant murderer, betraying the one I'd promised myself to? In my mind, I'd always felt that if other people were upset with my decisions, my insides would twist and douse me with shame.

But walking to Rhysand now, I couldn't bring myself to regret the decisions that had led me here. If being in this hellish place had taught me anything, it was that no one was coming to save me. Tamlin couldn't save me, and neither could Rhysand. If I wanted to fuel the fire of pride in my chest, I would have to feel worthy of it. I needed to prove to myself that I was more than someone who took the punches and turned their cheek for more. I would be brave, and I would be cunning, and I would get us out of this place.

Rhysand's eyes flicked sensually down the curves of my body, and the thought of them ever looking at anything else made my throat burn with envy. I wanted his hands on me and his mouth everywhere. I would get him out of this. I would find a way. And once I did, no one else would ever lay a finger on him ever again.

Nuala and Cerridwen had truly outdone themselves tonight. The gown I wore was slightly more extravagant than the ones before had been. I could only assume that meant nothing good, but I felt alive for the first time since Tamlin had forced me to go home. My skin buzzed with the energy of the room, and the low hum of chatter did nothing to calm my nerves. The gown was a deep, deep blue with shimmering embroidery that painted a portrait of the night sky that danced when it caught the light.

"My enamoring adversary," Rhys purred as he elegantly grasped the end of the leash that was secured around my throat. He smirked up at me, that familiarly wicked glimmer glinting in his violet eyes.

"My pretty boy High Lord," I cooed, matching his seductive tone. He reached out for me, and I made no hesitations before crawling in his lap, not unlike I had before. My legs straddled his thighs and my arms naturally twined around his neck. His scent was intoxicating.

"Oh, you think I'm pretty," he smiled. I pursed my lips to hide my matching flash of teeth. Something about him was particularly delicious tonight. My thoughts of him were far from pure, and I could only hope his were filthy enough to match.

"Like a cake," I taunted, and he groaned, leaning his head back against the chair as he remembered his drunken words from the night before. He cringed and shuddered.

"Not my smoothest moment," he admitted, the faintest blush tinting his perfect cheeks.

"I quite liked your honesty," I quipped.