«4» unraveling faux friendships

Start from the beginning

"Aren't you going to check up on him?" Aminah's voice was small, and Yaseerah turned around to observe her before she shook her head and walked back into her closet.

"He will talk when he is ready," Yaseerah uttered, feeling slightly guilty over Bilal's mood.

Perhaps she should have gone after him and inquired about what was eating him up, but she was just exhausted-emotionally and psychologically. While her father's return hadn't seen her physically hurt, the constant game of pretense and walking around on eggshells was getting to her.

The fact that she had no real friends to hang out with, and only had Aminah-who was three years older than her-as a companion, made Yaseerah think of how unlucky her life is.

"What do you think I should wear?"

"Does it even matter?" Aminah asked.

"You know the girls are vultures; I need to look my best whenever I go out with them."

"Honestly, I don't even know why you bother," Aminah mumbled, but she dropped her phone on the bed and strode towards Yaseerah's closet to help her pick out the right outfit.

"Chanel or Gucci, darling? Because, you know, the girls are always out for blood when it comes to fashion."

"I think Chanel would be more suitable for tonight's occasion," Yaseerah mused, her voice carrying an air of sophistication that belied her young age. "It's elegant without being ostentatious."

"No lafaya today," Yaseerah dictated, as Aminah delicately rifled through selections of designer dresses.

If she was going to hang out with the whole gang of hypocrites, the least she could do was wear something comfortable, and besides, it was a party.

Aminah shrugged casually. "Does it even matter? You could wear a potato sack, and you'd still outshine everyone in the room, Yas."

Yaseerah smiled at Aminah, though her words were measured as she replied. "Your compliments are always appreciated, Aminah. Yet, I prefer to make an effort, even if it's just to face a room full of vultures."

"True that," Aminah grinned, returning her attention back to the dresses.

"What about this?" she asked, pulling out a midnight blue dinner gown and holding it against Yaseerah's body. "Elegant enough?"

Yaseerah paused for a moment, her gaze thoughtful as she studied the dress. "True elegance is not about impressing others Aminah but about feeling confident in one's own skin."

Too used to Yaseerah's candor, Aminah didn't take offense at her words, only studied her as she accepted the dress and walked farther into her closet to get changed.

Moments later, Yaseerah admired her reflection in the mirror, her fingers delicately tracing the embroidery on her gown.

The high neckline framed her face with sophistication, offering only a glimpse of her graceful collarbone. Its long sleeves were intricately embroidered with delicate patterns, extended to her wrists, veiling her arms while still allowing a touch of grace to emerge.

The gown flowed downward, cinching gently at the waist with a silk sash, adorned with a tasteful bow.

Subtle embellishments adorned the gown, silver embroidery that traced along the edges of the high neckline, cuffs, and hem of the skirt.

"Don't you think it's too much?" Yaseerah questioned, her brows pinched in a frown, as she adjusted the cuff of her bracelet.

"No," Aminah shook her head vehemently, though a part of her wished she could appear as elegant in the dress the way Yaseerah did. "You look absolutely stunning."