Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet

Start from the beginning

After everyone else left, I found myself alone in the classroom. Ryuuen-kun had called me back there. During the sports festival, he dominated me, and I couldn't fight back. Despite losing completely, I felt relieved. I learned I'm not as strong as I thought, but I'm thankful for the experience.

However, Ryuuen-kun's requests are significant. Many other students, like me, are saddled with this obligation, and one million private points will be transferred to Class C. I must keep the chance of future conflict to myself.

"Sorry, I've kept you waiting, Horikita-san. I just got caught up in a conversation with my friends, sorry," Kushida said.

Kushida-san, who left the classroom with her friends once, returned while putting her hands together.

"There's still some time left until the appointed time. Shall we go then?"

~Timeskip~

"Yo. So you didn't run away, after all, Suzune."

"I'm not going to run away, Ryuuen-san," I said.

"Your heart's in the right place. You've become a finer woman than you were before."

I'm not pleased even if he praises me in such a manner.

"But before I talk with you," I turned to Kushida, "Let's put an end to this farce already, shall we? Kushida-san".

"Ehh? Farce? What do you mean by that?"

In the school building, bathed in evening light, I stared straight at Kushida-san.

"I don't mind you playing the good guy here, but that's not what you're after, right? This sports festival. You leaked the information. That's why Class C was able to pull it off so brilliantly. The fact that I'm here like this now with Ryuuen-kun is also for that sake...am I wrong?"

"Come on, where did you hear something like that from? Hirata-kun? Ayanokouji-kun?"

"No. These are my thoughts. I couldn't shake off that sense of unease. He's the only one here right now. Isn't it about time we confront one another?"

"Confront each other? What do you mean?"

"At the start, I saw you on the bus persuading Kouenji to give up their seat. I didn't recognize you then, but I remembered you afterward."

I made eye contact with Kushida-san. If she's colluding with Ryuuen-kun, she will interfere. She hadn't interrupted because she didn't see a need to.

"Kushida Kikyou-san. I remembered that a student like you had attended my 'middle school'".

She wouldn't be able to keep up her constant smile if I revealed something like that. I saw her change expressions for the first time, but that led to yet another smile.

"Of course, you'd remember immediately. I was quite a 'problem child'".

After saying that, Kushida-san stopped speaking and lowered her eyes in silence.

"I don't believe that phrase is quite accurate. You were not a problem child, just like how you are in Class D right now; you were a student everybody trusted. But..."

"Can you cut it out? Stop reminiscing."

"That's right. No point in talking about the past now."

Ryuuen-kun listened to our conversation with a smile as though he were enjoying it.

"If we're on the same page, then you understand, don't you? What I'm thinking about doing?"

"Yes. I've already realized that you want me out of this school. But aren't you also taking a big risk? If I reveal the truth, you'll lose your current standing, no?"