Chapter 5

I'm headed to Dr Sarah's today, after mum mentioned it at dinner the other night she scheduled an appointment.

Dr. Sarah had been my therapist since I was thirteen, with Madison's taunts about dad's little involvement in my life at the time and my own insecurities, it all seemed to weigh me down.

Then, I found happiness in nothing. At first, it was the occasional sadness then I slowly started drifting into depression. I was homeschooled for two years, before I finally overcame the depression, however my anxiety was one I still grapple with.

It was among the reasons I hate contact, any form of contact triggered me. If someone were to make eye contact with me it would add to my anxiety heightening the chances of an attack.

My mum and the twins were the only ones who had any contact with me for the past couple years, and yet contact with them was still difficult to make occasionally. My body still went rigid whenever they tried to hug me.

"Kayla dear, is that you?"

"Yeah"

Mum walked out of her room with bags under her eyes.

"Are you ok?" I asked, placing my hand against her forehead to check her temperature.

"You're burning up."

I led her back into the bedroom, laid her down and rushed to get a cold compress to reduce her fever.

"You can't go to the hospital like this."

"I'm fine,"

"You're fine?"

She remained silent.

"I'll go to Dr. Sarah's alone, you get some rest. Don't get out of bed ok, see you later."

"Bye, love you."

"Love you too."

I rushed to prepare breakfast for the both of us and got ready for school.

                            *******

"When are you leaving for the hospital?" Luca inquired.

"After lunch,"

"Okay,"

"You should start packing up, get your things in your locker before lunch is over." Lila suggested.

"Yeah, I'm gonna go."

"Love you guys."

I busied myself with stuffing my supplies in my locker when Fiona strolled to me,

"Hey, saw you leaving the cafeteria. Are you headed somewhere?"

"Yeah"

"Oh okay, should I still come over today?"

"No thanks"

"Well, see you tomorrow then."

"Yeah bye," she walked away.

                      **********

Her eyes are focused on her computer when I entered, she offered me a seat still busy glancing through my file.

"Hey Kayla"

"How are you doing today?"

"I'm okay,"

"How's things been?"

"Same,"

"I'm gonna need you to elaborate."

"I mean, it's the same cycle, school barely have an interaction anyone other than the twins, mum's schedules always ruining our plans."