Chapter Four: And So It Begins

A week passed already; it was the night before I had to go to Mexico with Ghost and Soap and my insomnia was in the way of trying to get some sleep. I kept feeling anxious and nervous about the entire situation. What if I mess up? What if I get someone killed like last time? I don't want to lose anyone again.

I lay in bed in my dorm, overthinking everything, until I let out a soft sigh and got up. I made my way outside in front of the dorms and sat down on the benches, looking up at the night sky and the full moon. Negative thoughts kept taking over my mind as I looked at the moon, I could feel my nerves kicking in and my hands starting to shake. As I tried to calm myself down, a familiar voice appeared behind me.

"Geht es dir gut, Venom?" (You doing okay?) König was right behind me, towering over me from behind as he looked down at me with slight worrisome in his eyes underneath his hood. I turned my body and looked up at him; thank god he was here, otherwise, I would've panicked over nothing. I look at him with a warm smile behind my mask before softly speaking.

"Hi, König. I'm okay, I'm just... nervous about tomorrow." I say hesitantly while rubbing the back of my neck.

"How come?" König asks as he sits next to me on the benches while looking at me.

I hesitate to answer him as I avoid eye contact with him. I've been friends with him for six years in the military but I still get anxious telling him anything about my feelings. I sigh and turn my gaze at him.

"I'm scared I might make the same mistakes again when I was back in KorTac," I say as I try to hide the worriedness and slight sadness in my eyes. König doesn't say anything to me as he knows what I did when I worked with him on our last mission before I got transferred. He hates being reminded about that mission, the screams, the shootings, the anger, and the utterly surprised strength that I had during that mission, he hated thinking about it just as much as I did. But I couldn't stop myself. I couldn't stop letting my anxiety get to me and think of the worst things possible.

"I know it sounds stupid of me to even bring up... that mission but, I just don't want to mess up this time," I say while looking away. Suddenly, a large hand touches my shoulder. I look to see König looking at me with such comfort in his eyes; I can tell he's smiling behind his hood.

"You won't mess up, Venom. You're strong, independent, and very brave. I'm sure you'll do great on this mission with Ghost and Soap. And,... if Ghost gives you any problems, let me know. I can take care of him for you." He says jokingly before letting out a slight chuckle to cheer me up.

I couldn't help but chuckle softly as I shook my head and smiled at him. He always found a way to make me feel better. I'm glad I have a friend like him.

"Don't worry, I can handle Ghost on my own. But,... thank you, König." I said before standing up and standing in front of him. He looks at me with a confused look, figuring out what I'm going to do, until I place my hand on his head, patting it a bit. He pats my head all the time, why not do it to him? König chuckles slightly and starts to blush underneath his hood.

"I'm gonna head to bed. Goodnight, goofball." I say jokingly.

"Gute Nacht, Venom," König says as I walk off and head back to my dorm to try to get some sleep.

-----------------------------------------

The next day came faster than ever. The plane wasn't going to get here until the afternoon so it gave me more than enough time to pack a bag along with all the gear that I wear. The afternoon hit and Ghost and Soap were already at the helipad. I quickly made my way to the helipad as the three of us got inside the plane. I sat near the window and put on my headphones while blasting heavy metal music in my ears so they wouldn't bother me while we were in the sky.