The Master

"A padawan would only slow me down." A young Knight Amon said, he was swinging his lightsaber blocking blaster fire from oncoming droids.

He and Knight Billaba were in the middle of a city in Saleucami. Defending them from an oncoming separatist attack.

"Why are you so against a padawan?" Knight Billaba said. "It'll be an honor to teach once we can take on padawans." She was also blocking blaster fire with her lightsaber.

"Don't you remember how I was?"

"Of course I do."

"Then you know why."

"Drake, it's our duty to train the next generation of padawans when the time comes."

Drake flipped away from blaster fire. "You sound like all the others, Depa."

"Maybe we have a point."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Meditating our we, Master Amon." A voice said. Drake Amon was sitting in the Jedi Courtyard in front of the tree. There were other masters training with their padawans but no one was bothering him until he opened his eyes and watched as Master Depa Billaba walked towards him, smiling.

"Well I was Master Billaba but someone is disturbing me." He quipped back with a smile.

"Well I wonder who that could be?" She teased as Drake stood up. "You're still coming with me to teach some of the younglings today right?"

"Yes I just got back from Pantora with Captain Rickshaw and the 671st. They're back at Kamino while I'm here waiting for the next assignment, which I believe I'm getting new orders soon." The two of them started walking through the halls.

"Such a shame that we have to be back here teaching younglings right now, while the war carries on without us."

Drake looked over as Depa was smiling. "Yes it is." Depa laughed. "Hopefully these younglings are promising."

"There's a couple of them that are promising but you already know that." Depa snuck a look at Drake. He was staring straight ahead. "I mean if you do end up taking on a padawan you would probably want a youngling who's top of their class. Only the best for Master Amon."

Drake chuckled. "Only the best would be able to keep up with me."

"You know... I hear Master Windu is considering taking on another padawan." Depa stated as the two of them stopped in front of an open door, younglings sat all around Master Yoda as he was teaching them. Drake's attention went to Youngling Ortis who was sitting next to her friend Youngling Tano, the two of them intently watching Master Yoda's lesson. "He's also looking for a youngling top of the class. Rumor has it, his sight is set on Youngling Ortis."

"Hm, Youngling Ortis?" Drake put his hand on his chin. "She deserves a better teacher."

Depa shook her head, she knew that Master Windu and Master Amon despised each other since Drake earned his master status. "Why do you hate Master Windu? He's a great Jedi and teacher."

"I never said he was a bad Jedi." Drake pointed out. "He's a pain in the ass and too stuck up. That's why we don't get along."

"Well if you were thinking about taking on a padawan you best talk to Master Yoda before it's too late." Depa hinted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once the lesson was over everyone was leaving the hall. Some of the padawans followed Master Billaba, still asking questions and of course she had no problems answering them. Master Billaba always had a soft spot for the younglings, Drake knew that. Youngling Ortis also was one of the younglings amongst them. She was smiling up at the master while talking to her but they were just out of ear shot. Drake couldn't help but smile at them. A youngling would only slow me down. He tried to remind himself but it wasn't working like it used to.