The prewedding and wedding ceremony from my side

A Bengali wedding too includes many rituals and ceremonies that can span several days.

In other words, more rituals, to blow our head down.

TURMERIC CEREMONY

It begins with the Nandi mukh ceremony, when a priest, a pandit, or sometimes simply the eldest male family member or their proxy pays tribute to the deceased ancestors of both sides' parents' fathers through an elaborate pooja ritual, requesting their holy spirits to bless the couple to-be. Nandi mukh is a prayer whereby the extended family takes the blessings of the forefathers who have died. This ritual is followed by the turmeric ceremony. There is one turmeric ceremony for the bride and another for the groom. For the bride's gaye holud, the groom's family - except the groom himself - travel in procession to the bride's home. They carry with them the turmeric paste (that has lightly touched the groom's body). After the two 'yellowing ceremonies,' the bride and groom are bathed in the water that the women had fetched from the waterway, early that morning.

Now on that early morning, I had to do the same shit, that was being experimented on me, the previous day.

After they got their satisfaction , of 'seducing' me with their hands, and after torturing me, by pouring icy cold water.on me, they left finally.

"Aacchhhooooo!!....
Infact they left me, sneezing. Bloody.......leave it."

Then after reaching Nioshi's home, turmeric paste is applied to the bride's skin by her friends. This is said to soften the skin, but it also colours her in the distinctive yellow hue that gives its name to this ceremony. I only thought, what was she going through. Poor girl.

WEDDING CEREMONY

The wedding ceremony is arranged by the bride's family. The groom, along with his friends and family, traditionally arrive later in the evening.

We arrived at the "Gitasree" banquet hall. It was grand, and all our jaws, dropped literally.

The inside was magnificient, marvellous, wonderful, dashing.....okay, I am going too far. But seriously, it was wonderfully decorated, with rose petals, and that too, of different colours.

Time came, and slowly, one after the other 'fun' started.

First, Nioshi arrived, covering her face with betel leaves, and sat on a tool, which shouldn't be termed as a tool. A barely two inch piece of a wood. That were being picked up by her three brothers, and they circled me, thrice I guess, and then literally tried to throw her down. Yeah, but couldn't do so, as she is their beloved ones.
Well she was not that heavy, was she? I didn't know, because I did not really got that chance. But I doubted her weight!

Then it was time for Suvodristi, when we both faced each other, and after the priest's call, she removed those betel leaves.

She was looking too beautiful, and so cute! I didn't expect her, to be so glamorous in Bengali saree and ornaments. She was wearing a blue Benarasi saree, and I was surprised hiw well she have carried the saree, and how well did it suit her.

When both of our eyes met, I winked at her. And she gave a cute, but an annoying expression, stating that what I was doing! There are elders here! Aahh....she is too cute!

The conch shells were just bursting our ears, but on the other hand, felt good too, as it created an environment of a Bengali ceremony.

The 'mala boldol' or exchanging of garlands gives the wedding. And then we encircled the fire or yajna seven times.

Then we both sat beside each other, and it was time for sindoordaan, where I had to put vermilion onto her forehead, and the peculiar thing was that, our bengali tradition followed a strange fact about putting this vermilion, from the ancient period, I hoped. And the fact was that, I need to do it, by not looking at her. Now what type of rule was that. But I had to do it. And so did. And after I did , I looked to her. The sindoor just wrapped up, not only her head, but her nose too. And I bursted out laughing. And the whole troop of guests, too. And she was so angry on me, that she pinched my left arm, and made an annoying face! But truly, that was a scene to see. But that was a quick one. It is because, she was quickly covered by a saree, called Lojja-bostro, which I , myself offered to her. And yeah, we finally ended, and the rituals, and now, can be termed as couples.

The most emotional moment, was when she had to leave, the house of her Abba. She started crying, and I holded her strong, making her realise, that I was there. She looked at me, and I loosed my grip, and she ran to her parents.

"Abbu...." She cried.

"No beti no, don't cry."

"But how will I leave you all?"

"Who said you are leaving? You will come any time you want."

"That is your another home beti. And see you are going to that house, where the most beloved person of your life, stays." Her Ammi said.

In the meantime, her father came,

"You will keep my beti happy, nah?" Her abba said.

"Yes, I will." I said.

"Our only daughter, whom I am giving in your hand. From her tender age, we kept her in that cozy pillow. Never made her realise, the difficulties, through which we went. Please keep her happy beta." Her mother said.

I holded her hand, and said "Don't worry, she is my life, and I can't hurt my life, can I?"

As I said, I looked at 'her'. She softly hugged both of them, and came back to me. We then started our journey.

On reaching home, maa welcomed us home, along with all other members, in a ritual called 'Bouboron'. Then the elders made gifts of gold to the her. She was asked to walk with her feet dipped in aalta on a sari, and her footprints are regarded as those of Lakshmi entering the groom's house. She was doing all these rituals gor the first time, and hence was a little nervous. Her eyes were still full of water. Maa rubbed her eyes, which spoilt her make-up, and made her look like a small, sweet, little girl. Then maa showed her the kitchen, store-room and all other things signifying prosperity, wealth and happiness of her new family. This day is also known as "Kaalratri," and on it the bride and groom are not allowed to even see each other.

BOU BHAAT

The following day,i.e.,the second day of the Nioshi, at her new 'home' was celebrated as Bou Bhaat. On this day,she served Rice with Ghee to all her in-laws at lunch. The evening was celebrated as a reception party,where all the distant relatives along with the close ones from the my side were invited and introduced to the Nioshi. Our family memebers attended with tattwa(gtifts of clothes,sweetmeats, jewellery,and all other essentials for the bride and her in-laws).A grand feast was carried out called 'Preetibhoj'- It is a gala dinner to introduce the Nioshi to the society and the whole of the family.