Dazai Osamu's Entrance Exam I

Start from the beginning

Meanwhile, my brother busies himself with his elaborate story about his drunken bar bet that had received us the job. It may have been ordinary if he spoke of working in a conbini – but a detective agency?

Kunikida scrunches his brow for who the man with enough power and lacking responsibility could have granted us our position, and the President speaks behind us with a deadly severe expression, "That man was Mr Taneda of the Special Abilities Department. He visited me yesterday and introduced us."

I was the same in that interaction as this one – reserved and apprehensive, but Osamu was a natural at this. I wonder how he can be so able in his social skills.

"We look forward to working with you, Kunikida – Don't we, [Y/N]?" As my name is said, my trance is broken, and I glance to the expectant man who stands tall above us, "Yes." My brother giggles, patting my head as I fluster.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ :) ⋅.} ────── ⊰

Kunikida allowed me to tag along on a job – A persistent thief reported to the Armed Detective Agency for capture. I stuck by my brother's side, taking in the crowded streets we hadn't been privy to seeing these past two years. The adverts in the windows have changed. Some shops are closed. Some have just opened. A loud ruckus was beside me as a popular arcade sported claw machines beside its doors. Children and parents were bonding over the activity. I saw people my age wandering around with shopping bags and new game consoles in their hands.

My superior spotted his target, and Osamu hummed a little tune. "Stop right there!" A chase began, Kunikida taking the lead as we stumbled behind through the crowd. The people in the market were watching us rush by, and a hundred faces lifted from their activities. I was behind my brother, and he didn't let go of my hand, side-stepping through a narrow alley and trying to keep up.

Well, trying is a bit of a stretch.

"You better keep up, newcomers!" Kunikida yelled behind him, attempting to keep his eye on the target and my brother's lousy behaviour. Getting back onto a street, Osamu had crouched down, tongue poked out as he fiddled with his laces, "Wait, Kunikida! My shoe came untied! [Y/N], help me!"

"Who cares! Just run!" I giggled, tucking the laces into the shoe as my brother pouted. "There you go." His little scheme crushed, Osamu lept back to his feet and dragged me along again. Compared to Kunikida, the pace we were going at could be considered a light jog, much to the man's annoyance.

Again, Osamu delayed, holding his side, "Phew! Kunikida, I'm exhausted. Could you slow down a little? This isn't good for my health, you know?" Kunikida looked behind him to where the menace leaned on me for support, "Just pick up the pace, you lazy oaf! My own health is suffering thanks to you!"

"Congrats!"

"Oh, shut up!"

In the time it took for the fully grown men to arrive, the thief had gained enough distance to throw Kunikida off. My brother pointed ahead, "By the way, Kunikida. Our man is getting away, y'know." Paying attention again, my superior clicks his tongue, seeing the damage the criminal had caused in vegetable vendors. It is not ideal.

Amid Kunikida's frustration, Osamu held my hand and sparkled. His eyes were set on a shop window of a bookseller's. Peering towards it, I saw what had him so excited. His interest in suicide had created a distraction that wasn't a premeditated attack on Kunikida's work schedule.

The dirty blonde motioned to the crowd, "You see that, Dazai? Thanks to your dawdling, it's going to be even harder to catch him! And I'm not letting you off the hook, either, [Y/N]!" I furrow my brow, "Not fair."

"Don't worry about it! It's all according to plan. More importantly, guess what I just saw!" Our chase proceeded, pursuing the thief through the street and turning left, seeing him ahead. "I don't care!"