Blistering anger erupted, curling my fingers into fists and snapping my shoulders into a stiff line.

The bloodhound snarled.

What he inferred was my mother had an affair with a member of the upper ranks, and worse, got with me out of wedlock. I tilted my chin up with defiance. "I know I arrived earlier than anticipated, but other babies, within established families," I added to support my case, "have been born prematurely too. It's not uncommon." And my mother was devoted to my father. So much so, from all the stories my aunt had shared over the years of Asta's love for Jasper, not a bone in my body believed him. Fragmented images from my recently unearthed memory of my mother's erratic behavior spiraled through my head. It brought with it a mix of emotions with how she'd treated me, but clearly, she'd lost her mind when she'd lost the love of her life.

I didn't like the sly gleam in the Head Housekeeper's eyes. He simply ground out, "This way Miss Catt." His long, leggy stride brushed through the wild grasses as he began walking toward the gnarled treeline.

Dreadful foreboding washed through my limbs like freezing water. It felt like I was walking to the gallows as I followed behind.

He stopped at a gap between the trees. I peered ahead, my gaze skittering along the murky length of the path littered with broken twigs and skeletal leaves.

My mouth went as dry as parchment. Why had he led me here?

In my periphery, the twitch of Mr. Volkov's thin lips brought my gaze swinging back to him. Smugness shone blatantly in his deep brown eyes. "When I took over my role as Head Housekeeper, I had access to all the personal files of our staff. Yours is there too, with a few bits of information regarding your mother." He smoothed the flat of his hand down the lapels of his suit, before tugging the cuff of a sleeve to fix the lines of his shirt and jacket. "Asta and Ellena grew up at House Chantha."

I nodded. Yes, I knew that. The Chanthas' estate was on the other side of Ascendria. It was a smaller and newer House compared to the Deniuads'.

"And they both arrived at new estates and new Houses within a short time of one another. Your aunt requested a transfer to the Deniauds so she could remain close to her sister." He tsked. "Usually those sorts of requests are denied, but your mother was a widow with a newborn, who, as it was noted, wasn't doing well after the death of her husband." A furrow deepened in his brow as he intently studied my face. "In some small way, you were lucky that Asta died."

My mouth fell open.

What kind of thing was that to say to me?

His cruel, nasty words cut deep and the dark magic inside me bristled.

And then I blinked as I realized belatedly, his gaze was sliding over the shape of my face, tracing the jawline to my lips, along my nose and cheeks, to my eyes. "The older you grew the more you resembled Ellena," he murmured quietly.

I stamped a foot, crushing dewy grass beneath my heel. "Of course I do, she's my aunt!"

He smiled and with the flash of white teeth, reminded me of a shark. "Your aunt's personal file was curious. Her history too. I'm assuming you don't know that your aunt was an orphan and fostered by Asta's family."

It brought my anger to a grinding halt.

He was right, I didn't know that. But what should it matter anyway?

"Ellena was taken in by Asta's family and raised as one of their own." He leaned down closer, so close his stale breath wisped over my brow. "So you tell me, Tabitha Catt, why do you look so much like your aunt if you're not related by blood? Unless of course, you are."