Unhooking my backpack from my shoulders, I lowered it to my feet and crouched down. Unclipping the buckles, I flipped over the flap and began to unload all our paraphernalia and set the telescope up on its tripod for our evening of star gazing

A light sheen of sweat had gathered across my hot skin from the exertion of the climb. I snatched off my hat and unwound my scarf, leaving them both on top of my backpack. Unzipping my jacket a little, I flapped the collar to allow the icy air to slink inside and cool my skin. Craning my neck back I soaked up the wonder overhead. I hated the bloated full moons that hung in the sky and mocked me, but the waning moon provided the assurance of safety, and it was easy to be carefree in its silvery light because it meant the thing that resided within my aunt was safely locked away and unable to come out.

This evening the velvety sky in its autumnal hue of blackened blue held a crescent of flint and tiny flickering lights of pewter.

"It's so beautiful tonight," my aunt said in a soft appreciative tone.

"It really is," I breathed.

My aunt procured the picnic rug from her backpack and draped it over the mossy rock, while I fiddled with our telescope, squinting through the eyepiece, scanning the night sky until the moon came into view, and adjusted the focus to further see the shadow line bleeding across its cratered surface and its desert seas. Behind me, I heard the steady click, click, click from my aunt snapping photographs.

For the next few hours, we compared the constellations to our maps, took more photographs, and made notes in our journal. However, stargazing wasn't really what we were about. This was just another cover for our disappearances to the krekenn cave every full moon. So most of the time we were gossiping and laughing and teasing one another. Sitting beneath the celestial hemisphere was peaceful and relaxing, something we both shared an enjoyment for because it was just the two of us and our time to chat about anything and everything.

A while later, my aunt sat cross-legged on the rug and opened up the picnic basket Markel had made for her. She oohed over the delectable treats. Chef really was wooing her every chance he got. I leaned over and glimpsed the miniature selection of morsels sitting on a bed of red and white checkered napkins. Chocolate brownies and pistachio truffles and raspberry blondies. It reminded me of the box of desserts Varen and I had shared while the galaxy of willwips stained the night in a rainbow.

The thermos warmed my fingers as I twisted the lid open and poured two black coffees, steam unfurling from the plastic mugs. I handed one to my aunt, who in turn offered me a chocolate brownie.

Both of us turned around and leaned our backs against one another, our combined heat radiating through our jackets and warming our bodies like sitting beside a toasty fire. I bit into the chocolate brownie and moaned, closing my eyes briefly. Rich dark chocolatey bits melted all over my tongue along with a faint tang of rum. "So delicious," I mumbled around my mouthful. "I love this about Markel."

"His ability in the kitchen?" I heard my aunt say, a smile in her voice.

"A-huh," I replied, savoring another bite of brownie. So freaking good.

My breath washed out in white clouds as the forest whispered around us and night creatures came out to hunt. The glowing eyes of otherworldly creatures stared at us from the rusty boughs of nearby trees.

After a few minutes of peaceful silence, both of us immersed in the constellations overhead, I finished the brownie and coffee. Placing the empty cup by my side, a streak of light brightened in my periphery. I jerked my head upward in excitement as a meteor whizzed across the hemisphere leaving a trail of filmly silver.