Sentimental

On the shore, the ninja were having their well deserved break. Everyone was wearing their swimming trunks, except for (y/n), who was still in the ragged and blood-dyed shirt and pants (without forgetting his headband). Jay was wearing a light blue tank top, Zane was wearing a button up with a tropical prints, and Kai and Cole were shirtless.

"Order up. Coconut cream pie. Served well done!" Kai laughed as he spotted a coconut in the sky, and quickly shot it with a burst of fire from his elemental blade. Kai laughed as Cole and Zane cheered.

"It is good to have our powers back." Zane said as Cole agreed with him.

"Totally!" Zane, Kai, and Cole chatted as they continued blasting up coconuts. Jay and (y/n)  instead were sitting in the sand some distance away from the others. (y/n) was grumbling in dissatifaction as yet another days meal exploded to smithereens in front of his eyes. Jay was looking at the boy, who had set his spear down on the sand, but still had not washed the dark red stain away from his face. After giving it a second, Jay spoke up.

"Did you add more blood on your face?" Jay asked, and (y/n) nodded.

"You shouldn't do that, you'll start to smell." Jay continued hastily as this time (y/n) shook his head.

"No, no. The blood is a sign not to mess with me. That way beasts see I don't fear them, they fear me. It's only for survival." (y/n) explained. Jay had started noticing how (y/n) avoided complicated words and spoke in short simple sentence. The blue ninja wondered if it was due to the effect of the island, or just a choice of words. Jay sighed before speaking up.

"Yeah, you said something like that already. Well, no matter, let's wash that stain away." Jay said and stood up, and pulled (y/n) up with him. At first (y/n) let out sounds of dissatisfaction but didn't resist against Jay, as Jay ignored him and started walking towards the shore line.

"You're with us now. No predator is gonna go after you anymore." Jay lastly said as (y/n) finally allowed Jay to do his thing, no complaining this time. Jay walked into the water, moving his feet for a bit to test the temperature before pulling off the tank top he was wearing.

"Now sit down here, I'll wash that off." Jay pointed down at the shallow water, where the soft sand was easy to notice through the clear water. (y/n) obediently plopped down to sit cross-legged. Jay instead sat down on his knees, and started scrubbing (y/n)'s cheek softly with the ocean water while occasionally using his top as a towel of sorts.

"I'm sorry, but we lost most of our stuff in a storm when coming here. I don't have a towel or anything." Jay apologized as (y/n) softly shook his head.

"And I look like I have a towel?" (y/n) intended it as a joke, but his tone made it sound more like a question. Thankfully Jay understood and chuckled a little.

"But in any case, the first thing I'll do once we get back to Ninjago is making sure you go take a warm shower." Jay said with a smile on his face. Jay tried to ignore the other boy who kept his (e/c) eyes tightly locked on him as he worked. But Jay didn't complain, since he had been observing (y/n) closely for a while as well. 

Along with the lack of speech, (y/n) looked way different from when Jay had last seen him roughly three years ago. He was taller and more fit in general, and his face of many emotions was still. (y/n) still had the same defined and handsome face, yet there was no smile on that face, and there hadn't been one ever since Jay and (y/n) reunited.

"C'mon! Just let me take the sun in a little first!" (y/n) complained as Jay stood over him, wearing his favorite pair of swimming trunks and a pair of sunglasses rested on his head. Summer break was almost over, and there were only a couple days fit for swimming, so the two boys took the chance in with open arms, and had gone to the nearest beach to swim. The place wasn't packed, but it wasn't empty either. There were a lot of young kids running around  so there was a bit of chaos and noise everywhere, but it didn't bother the two boys.