TWENTY THREE, not a fighter

Start from the beginning

i softly chuckle as penny reveals yeonjun's secret. "but-" penny cuts yeonjun off before he can continue.

"but, nothing. you've never won a fight" penny rolls her eyes and turns to look at me. she goes to open her own mouth but he beats her to it.

"what about that one time? when i saved you from that guy at the bar?!" yeonjun yells at her. "you didn't beat him up, you pushed him off of me and told him to fuck off. that's far from beating him up" she tells him and a giggle escapes from my lips.

"you're really trying to prove you've won a fight" i say and yeonjun shakes his head. "i swear i've won one though" he whispers, looking at my ceiling as he combs through his many memories.

"i can tell you right now, you haven't, choi" penny laughs at him. his eyes roll and he goes back to looking up, pondering.

penny's body turns to me. "he's going to sit here and think for ages trying to come up with a time he's won a fight. i've known him his entire life, i promise you, he has never won a fight" her voice is low, not quite a whisper but not her usual volume.

"i am right here," yeonjun interjects, "literally right here! i can here every single world that comes out of your stupid mouth."

"it wasn't meant to be a secret, you know i'm right" she shakes her head at him. "you're not! i have definitely won a fight! at least one!" his arms flail as his voice raises.

"my god, this kid" penny puts her head in her hands as she shakes her head yet again. "i am older than you! shut your trap!" yeonjun's arm extends as he points to her.

"you're in a mood" penny's eyes roll into the back of her head. i laugh at their bickering. it reminds me of when hyunjin and i would always argue back and forth at each other. it was always stupid meaningless arguments that never would amount to anything.

"you keep saying im weak!" he says back to her. "i'm not saying your weak, daniel," penny snaps her fingers when she finishes saying his english name, "i am just saying that you have never won a fight."

"that's because i'm not a violent person. i'm a lover, not a fighter" he huffs and turns away from the two of us.

penny's head turns towards me and we make a few seconds of eye contact before we both turn back to yeonjun. "haven't you been asking if you need to beat anyone up for me lately?" i cock my head to the side as i look at him.

"yeah, but i would never do it" yeonjun says softly and i shake my head.

"you're quite the fool, choi."

a little while later, both penny and yeonjun are asleep.

yeonjun moved into the guest room about half an hour ago after he got sick of penny and i poking fun at him. usually he can tune us out but we wouldn't shut up and got closer to him every time he would pretend to not be listening.

i think we damaged his ego a bit.

he said goodnight and walked out and i haven't seen him since. he texted both of us a "goodnight, love you" text before i heard the fan turn on in the other room. signaling that he was going to fall asleep.

penny moved onto the small pullout couch in the corner of the room and decided that's where she was going to sleep for the rest of the time we were here.