It's then I catch a strange scent on the breeze, but only for just a moment. Theres something about it that put's me on edge, makes me hungry.
It's definitely a living thing—sweet, earthy, and if a scent could have cruel qualities to it, I'd describe this one as so. I scan the woods around me, noting no human heat signatures, nor heartbeats save for those of small rodents, birds, and squirrels in the surrounding area.

Damn, whatever it was it's seemingly gone, and I'm disappointed. "Would've liked to have tasted it," I mutter to myself darkly, running my tongue across ready fangs. I let my eyes wander once more into the forest, but again, nothing.

The breeze patterns shift, and so with reluctance I slip into my tent, nestling in for the night. Sleep takes me with haste, and I'm soon wrapped in its welcoming embrace.

What feels like not moments later, the sound of a beating heart rouses me. I jolt upright in my sleeping bag, keen ears trained on that delicious sound. It's not just any heart, though. This one belongs to what I'd akin to a human, but it's scent is one I'm not familiar with, and it's the same scent I caught on the night air before I went to sleep.

My mouth begins to salivate as I slip out of my tent, and the being is close. I follow the sound of its heart, and hide myself behind a tree. As I peek around, my hungry eyes settle upon a figure maybe one-hundred or so feet to my right, the silvery moon illuminating it ever so slightly. It's approach is silent, and I watch in curiosity as it stops suddenly.

It has a striking pair of red eyes, and they're studying the basic knot holding my treats high up in the tree, obviously meant to keep animals out of my food and away from camp. Not that I can't handle a bear, I just don't feel like dealing with one, and it isn't bear season anyway. I'd feel shitty for eating one without a tag. I'm sure it seems ironic, but I'm a conscientious vampire when it comes to the ecosystems and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest.

The faint sound of a knife being unsheathed shakes me from my thoughts, and I'm fascinated by how impossibly quiet the sound was.
I continue watch with interest as my rope is cut, and the individual catches it all with ease. Their movements are silent, and I can't tell if it's male or female. The form is small, lean, but elegant. There's power and control behind the way it moves, and it's certainly unlike any human I've ever seen. Humans don't have eyes meant to capture heat either, as these appear to be. Insatiable hunger consumes me, the softest growl of satisfaction leaving my lips as need threatens to take control of me.

I'm so fucking hungry.

The form freezes—head snapping in my direction with surprising acuity. Despite its apparent keen senses, I know the odds aren't in the creature's favor. I'm a tough match, and I've yet to find an equal in a fight with anything but another vampire.

...Yet, I am astonished to observe it's head tilt, red orbs honing in on my presence, its ears now acutely aware. Then follows the unmistakable sound of sword being drawn from sheath, and again the sound is so soft, I'm sure it'd not be audible to any ear but my own.

I can't help but grin wickedly—the scent of the humanoid filling my senses.

This is what I caught on the breeze earlier.

The sweetness is intoxicating with it being so close. There's a tinge of earthiness to it, but it's not the smell of dirt. It's more akin to rock, with a faint edge of sulfur that I don't exactly like. However there's a sweet spiciness as well, sort of like chocolate mixed with cayenne pepper.