Chapter 8 - Explanations

"Alright then..."

You said quietly, as Walden and you had been discussing what happened and such for a little while now. But you still had one question.

"How... were you brought back?"

Wally seemed to be a bit unsure.

"I... Well... Walther... he replaced my blood with Spectra. It makes sense in theory, Spectra emits energy, that's why it glows. My body absorbs the energy it emits, but I don't know how long it lasts for or if there any side effects."

He explained, then held out his arm to show you the veins on his wrist that would usually be a blue or green, but now you could see shades of purple, red, it was kind of odd. But now you could say for certain he wasn't lying.

"Oh... my..." You trailed off, taken aback.

He seemed distant as he pulled his hand back, not meeting your eyes. The air was still thick with unsaid words, it was almost suffocating. You noticed Estelle had fallen asleep in a comfortable-looking armchair, the notebook had fallen on her face. You chuckled quietly, standing up to remove the notebook from atop her face.

That's when you noticed something odd. Something that made a pang of guilt hit your chest like nothing else.

She shivered, and her breaths rose and fell rapidly, as if she were scared.

You knew instantly what was going on. You see, ever since Estelle came into your care, she's had repetitive nightmares about a collapsing building. You never knew why, but they terrified the young girl nonetheless. As soon as your hand met her shoulder, she sat up with a gasp. Immediately sobbing, she scrambled over to you and you sat back down next to Wally, taking your daughter in your arms, she trembled and cried as you whispered soothingly to her. You had ignored Wally in favor of comforting your daughter, but if you had looked at him, he would seem mortified.

"Shhh, baby, you're okay. It was just a bad dream... I'm here now..." You soothed her, the small child latching onto you for dear life.

"B-but it felt so real..."

"I know, I know. But you're right here, with me. You're not over there, and you never will be."

As you spoke softly, you felt Walden put his arms around both you and Estelle, and she noticed this, looking over at him. He spoke to her, his voice low and soft, a tone you haven't heard in years.

"Don't worry, sweetheart. You're safe now."

Estelle smiles at him, and despite your anger, despite your hurt, it warmed your heart to see him being so kind to someone who you love so dearly.

It gives just a little bit of hope for the two of you.