Chapter 2 - Reunited

"Walden?"

Your voice cracked, tears collecting in your eyes like dewdrops on a leaf.

"Neighbor." He responded, and that voice was so dearly missed.

You ran up to hug him, latching onto him like he was your lifeline. You missed him so much, it was painful. The agony of that hole in your heart seemed to stab you as you sobbed into his chest, feeling his arms circle around you as you cried.

You felt a smaller pair of arms wrap around your leg, your daughter's voice concerned.

"Don't cry, p/t... he didn't pass away after all!"

You brought up a hand to wipe the tears from your eyes, smiling.

"I'm okay, sweetpea, I just..."

You paused, trying to gain your composure.

"I missed him a lot."

His grip around you tightened, you knew what he was trying to say. The touch told you that it was okay, that he's here now.

You looked up at him, confused.

"But... you died. I was there..."

You said in an almost inaudible whisper, trying to keep the information from your daughter. She didn't need to know the details. Only Walden could hear you.

"I know I did... I- I had some help from Walther."

"Then why didn't you come back?"

You asked angrily, at a whisper. If he was alive all this time, then why didn't he stay? Why did he leave? He could have been here, to be a father for Estelle, but no, he just left.

"Neighbor, please. I owe that cartel now, if I don't help them until their operation is over, then they'll kill everyone. Poppy, Barnaby, you, Julie. I don't think they'll stop at children, either."

He whispered in reply, tilting his head towards your daughter.

"I don't want that to happen. You can text me anytime, maybe we could figure out a way to see each other, but for now, they want me away from you."

His voice was desperate, sorrowful. Of course, he kept it low to not allow Estelle to hear. You nodded, heartbroken.

Your daughter just returned him to you, and you can't even see him? This is absolutely ridiculous!

"I see. When do you have to leave?"

Your voice had returned to a regular volume, seeming just fine.

Even though fine is the last word to describe you.

"I'm supposed to be on patrol right now, there might be a- erm- coworker of mine who might catch up to us, then I'll get in trouble with my job..."

He explained it as if he wasn't in some shady crime regime, and he was thankful. You didn't need Estelle knowing.

"Awww, you gotta go?" Estelle asked, looking away from a bird she was having a staring contest at to look at Walden.
"I got a question for you, mister."

Walden looked over at Estelle, smiling kindly.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Well... are you my new dad?"

Wally looked stunned, and you were laughing, completely caught off guard.

"I did tell her about you, I put in quite a good word..." You said teasingly through your laughter.

"No, I am not your dad." Walden said, his tone still kind as to let her down slowly. The author then whispers to themselves while writing the chapter, 'not yet.'

Estelle nodded, accepting his statement.

Eventually you two had to part ways again, and you went your separate ways not before giving each other one last embrace, he even hugged Estelle before the two of you left.

Estelle was busy playing and running around the park while you watched, and you couldn't help but smile to yourself.

The two people who you loved the most are  back in your life, at the same time. Your daughter, and Walden.

It seems as if after years of hurting, it's all looking up.