Chapter 3: Dive

January 2023

It was just a kiss...

Jungkook insistently clung to this thought.

Because he agreed to it. He was calm, a bit amused even, when he understood what Taehyung wanted to do.

He treated it like a hug.

He and Taehyung were close enough... They were actually extremely close.

The type of close like: I have a pimple on my ass, can you check if it looks worrisome? Or: yeah, yeah, throw it up, don't hold it in...

So yeah... if Taehyung was suddenly curious, JK was ready to act like a 17 year old teenage friend, who would say: yeah, lets just kiss and find out...

So it was just a kiss in his head. A physical act.

Something like learning a new skill...

He had to treat it like that.

And he was sure he could.

But...

When Taehyung was kissing him...

He responded...

He shouldn't have. He wasn't going to.

Maybe it was the moment. Maybe it was the fact he didn't have anyone for some time. Maybe he just got needy suddenly...

Yeah... he would like to believe in those excuses...

It was Taehyung's scent... The gentle, hesitant moves of his lips on his mouth. Pleading... looking for something... tempting...

And it lightened up a temporary insanity and he flew there like a moth to the light.

He felt hot. Too hot for such a gentle kiss...

That's why he broke it at that moment, before it could get out of hand for him.

He was used to controlling himself. His schedules, his training routines, his vocal and dance practices demanded it for him.

So he was going to use this control in his private life too.

He didn't want to have hope. He didn't want to start expecting something, just because Taehyung felt safe enough with him and trusted him enough to expose his inner turmoil.

He wasn't going to risk years of their friendship for his own selfish, personal needs.

And he wasn't going to risk his own heart as well, just because Taehyung PROBABLY widened his horizons.

Because it would be too easy...It would be too natural for him to open this part of him for Taehyung.

They could be friends because he was keeping it safely locked and because Taehyung never was actually bothered by it or acted differently around him.

So he also acted normally around him. That's why he could joke and simp over him. Because he was absolutely sure Taehyung was hetero. So their bickering was full of safe flirting.

Of course Jungkook was attracted to him. He was a beautiful, charming man.

And probably there wasn't a friend who Jungkook would love more than he loved Taehyung. The comfort, safety... the joy of their friendship was precious.

And because he had never considered it possible or even thought about Taehyung in a different way than as a friend or even a close family, he could still go back and believe that it was just a kiss.

Last two weeks while Taehyung was in Daegu and he was in Seoul, when they called each other with Christmas wishes. When he called him to wish him first on his birthday when Taehyung flew to Houston and it was comfortable and cheerful as always - make him even more confident in his belief that they will laugh it out and tease each other about it soon enough.