22

Arizona stayed by Meredith's side the entire time the feeding tube and catheter was placed, when Dr Bailey was finished she gave her a small smiles before leaving the couple. As Arizona looked at her sleeping wife, her heart broke. She looked so tiny, attached to all these tubes, she hated that this is what life had thrown at them. Meredith had been through so much, and now this. It was killing her to see Meredith looking so small, but she had to be strong for the kids. As she sat next to Meredith she got a message from Amelia asking her if, she and Kai could come up to Meredith's room for lunch, she checked the time it was still a bit until lunch she told Amelia just to wait a bit she wanted to see how Meredith reacted to the feeding tube and the catheter first. Just then Meredith started to stir,

"Hey," Arizona cooed as Meredith opened her eyes.
"Mmh" Meredith groaned becoming aware of the feeing of the tube in her nose, her hand immediately flew up to her face stopping as she felt the tube.
"Hey, hey it's ok look at me" Arizona cooed smiling at her wife hoping she wouldn't be upset by the feeling of the tube.
"Did they?" Meredith asked looking at Arizona,
"Yes they inserted the catheter but it's ok hey? It's good it'll me you don't have to worry about accidents or anything yeah?" Arizona explained, trying to keep the mood happy.
"I suppose, but I know you said I wasn't hideous but I just feel trapped I've got a tube attached to my port, I've got a feeding tube in my nose, I've got a catheter and I've got the nasal cannula. I just feel so..so..sick.." Meredith signed, looking away from Arizona.
"No hey, remember what I said about looking stronger, your catheter provides your freedom, your nasal cannula helps supplement the oxygen your lungs are failing to provide, which along side the feeding tube which gives you the strength to fight off this cancer, and your port gives you the ability to fight this cancer. My love, I know it's hard but I want you to know how incredibly proud I am of you ok?" Arizona replied, guiding Meredith to look at her.
"Thanks, zona" Meredith smiled back at her.
"Now I know it could be hard but Amelia and Kai want to join us for lunch do you reckon your up for it?" Arizona asked looking into Meredith's eyes.
"Um.. I... yes I suppose." Meredith replied, she was hesitant at the idea of anyone seeing her but she knew she's have to get used to it.
"Ok I'll message them, do you want anything to eat or do you want to start your first feed." Arizona asked aware that Meredith was going to struggle to eat but also may be embarrassed to have her tube feeding in front of Amelia and Kai.
"Um...I'll do the feed. I feel to nauseous I don't feel like eating." Meredith answer.
"Perfect, my love, I'm so proud of you." Arizona cooed, smiling at Meredith.
It wasn't much later when Amelia and Kai arrived in Meredith's room, food for themselves and Arizona in hand. Arizona had already gotten Meredith's food and prepared it ready for her when they started having lunch.

"Oh mer, we are both so proud of you" Amelia cooed as she saw her sister

"Oh mer, we are both so proud of you" Amelia cooed as she saw her sister. She wasn't going to lie it was a bit upsetting to see her sister look so small with so many tubes but she knew it was for the best.
"Thanks Amy." Meredith replied,
"You ready to start Mer?" Arizona asked as she got Meredith's feed ready,
"Yeah," Meredith replied reaching out to hold Arizona's hand.
"I'm so proud of you my love." Arizona cooed as she started the feed.

Two Weeks Later-
Meredith's was sleeping in hers and Arizona's room, while Arizona was on a call.
"Now please make sure you shower everyday when you get home from work, penny to and then give Sofia a shower when she gets home from anywhere. Don't let her stay in her outside clothes and don't stay in your work clothes. I know it's a lot but it's important." Arizona explained as she looked down the list in front of her.
"Yes I know, what times her flight?" Callie answered back,
"I've told you this she gets in at 2:00pm," Arizona answered annoyed she'd given all these details to Callie already. "It's extra important that you have her wash and disinfect after the plane cause there are so many germs on the plane" she continued.
"Yes I get it, I can look after my daughter." Callie replied annoyed
"I know you can look after your daughter but there are extra things we need to be worried about now with Meredith's cancer" Arizona explained, she was really worried about sending Sofia to Callie and Penny, she'd taken the trips heaps of times but now with Meredith's condition they had to be much more careful about germs and everything, Meredith was at high risk for infection. "Now if you or penny or Sofia get sick while she is there over the weekend, she'll need to stay there longer just till we are sure there if no risk of infection to Mer." Arizona continued to explain.
"Uh fine." Callie sighed into the phone, before hanging up.
"Ugggh!" Arizona groaned, she knew that it was an inconvenience to Callie and Sofia but she thought seeing as Callie was at one stage friends with Meredith she would be a bit more understanding, especially considering the fact Arizona had no legal obligation to send Sofia to Callie and Penny but only did it because she didn't want her and Callie's divorce to affect Sofia's relationship with her mum.
"Is everything ok?" Meredith called from the hallway she had started to wake up when she heard Arizona groan. She gotten herself out of bed and was using the newly installed hand rail to make her way to the kitchen.
"Just Callie being a dick," Arizona sighed looking over at Meredith. She was so proud of her wife, she was overcoming this cancer, with help from the feeding tube Meredith had been able to regain some weight still not back to where she was before the chemo but enough to the point she wasn't at risk for complications from malnutrition. "You ok my love?" She asked as Meredith sat down next to her.
"Yeah I'm actually feeling pretty good this morning, I haven't changed my catheter yet or started my first feed, I only just woke up." She replied resting her head on Arizona's shoulder as she yawned.
"Oh my sleeping beauty, come on let me change your catheter then we can get you set up on the coach and I'll start your feed how's that sound?" Arizona answered, helping Meredith stand up again.
"Perfect, I love you Zona" Meredith cooed.

Authors Note
Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please leave any comments with suggestions or ideas.
What do you thinks going to happen next? Should Sofia go to New York?