Chapter 5

The bright morning sun shines and drapes onto the manor. Waking Caleb from bed.

Knock Knock

A sudden knock on his door stirs him to sit up.

"Come in." Says while yawning.

Celia and Milia enter the room and approach the young boy with wide grins. Within their hands are a set of clothes and accessories.

"Today is the day, Master!" Cilia says with excitement.

"It is time to get up and ready, my Lord; you can't miss today, can you?" Milia chimes in. She spreads out a well-designed suit piece for nobles. It bears the house colors of red and yellow. Within the piece, the insignia of house Aris is present on the left breast pocket. The Scarlet Order insignia is a rose and thorns wrapped around a chest plate armor. House Aris includes the four phoenix wings that sprout behind the insignia of the Scarlet Order.

"Was this custom-made?" Caleb asks. Unsure if this was meant for him or not.

"Indeed, it was. Lord Aris requested this to be made just last week. It is quite beautiful, isn't it." Milia happily spreads out the accessories. 

Caleb examines the entire set, and for once, a smile creeps across his face about something his father did for him. He was impressed with such a fine piece that made him feel like he belonged to such a great house. However, a sad reality still bore deep within his heart that no matter how much he may feel at home, his white hair will always paint him differently.

"I'll let you girls have the honor." Caleb gestures to the two of his faithful and loyal servants.

*

Tia was being helped by the local staff and some retainers of her own before the party began. Looking out the window, she noticed rows of carriages and knights on their mounts approaching the manor. A slight sense of uneasiness filled her stomach. Her father saw her change in mood and quickly placed his hand on her head. With a gentle rub and his kind smile, she regained her composure.

It was still the early morning; the party wasn't set to start until the evening, but the crowds of people coming to see her and her father were nonetheless nerve-racking. She didn't get much sleep due to her moment with Caleb, which stirred her every time she went to sleep.

Looking back at the mirror, she bore her new dress. The pretty yellow flourish of flowers embedded into the dress gave the bright white colors more flair. With a small twirl, she felt pretty excited about her look. Soldia nodded in appreciation and took his daughter's hand, leading her out of the room.

"Come, Tia, we must meet with the guests beforehand."

*

Walking into the main hall of my home, I approach my father, talking to Commander Eckhart Flynn. They are discussing the locations of our personal guard. The moment my presence is known to them both, their conversation is cut short.

"If you'll excuse me, my Lord." Eckhart bows and shows his respect.

"Very well, I would love to discuss my proposition with you more, if that is okay."

"If it is your wish, I will not refuse such a request. Shall I bring the...-?" Eckhart looks at Valum with a questioning look.

"Later, when the party starts, for now, round up your men and drill tonight's plans."